Shift cut out switch

tubbs92

Reaction score
Having trouble adjusting the cables so that my Cut Out Switch works properly. From what I've read, the cut out switch engages for a second when the shifter is going into forward/reverse to neutral. This action grounds the engine(stalling) causing the gears to slow down and lets the lower unit slip in and out of gear. Can anyone explain to me how to adjust the cables properly? I have a service manual, but after I follow the instructions it still doesn't work. If I can't get it to go, is there a boat mechanic in the Cherry Hill, NJ area that can help me with this? Thanks

SieraSky

Reaction score
Cut-out switch

What make outboard do you have? The cut-out grounds out only one bank of cylinders ,2 on a V4 or 3 on a V6, not the entire engine to prevent stalling. Send me a PM, I,m sure I can help

tubbs92

Reaction score
No.. No tool.. I'm going to drop off this morning to a marine shop. I never changed the shift cable and the mechanic there said that could be the problem. He said the cable will stretch and after a few years it needs to be changed, but he will try and adjust it first... So we'll see.