shift/throttle cable hard to move- Johnson 175

gradyrod

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Johnson 175 Oceanrunner with a shift/throttle cable problem.. It is extremely difficult for me to push my control lever forward or pull it back to neutral. It does seem to go into reverse more easily. I was wondering do I check the cables first or the motor?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Gradyrod
1985 Fisherman 204

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First, I would look along the length of the cable and make sure there are no kinks or sharp bends. Otherwise it could be a corroded shifter cable. If you can see where the cable is connected to the engine,disconnect it at that point and try the shifter. If it moves freely you've eliminated the helm control and cable...good luck

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
i would first disconnect the cable from the motor and see if the shifter moves freely. I just went through 2 broken cables in 2 years on my 98 sailfish. I ended up replacing the remaining 2-easy repair and cost around $60 each for the better cables. i used the old cable as a snake for the new one-good luck

seasick

Reaction score
9 out of 10 times it is a worn cable. Disconnecting the cables ( by the way, is it stiff going into gear or when using throttle) at the motor may or may not tell you whats wrong. If you disconnect and the binnacle is still tough to move, it could be a cable or as mentioned in that 1 out of 10, the binnacle itself.
That said, if the cable moves easily, it doesn't preclude a bad cable but it does eliminate a bad binnacle. If the core of a cable becomes worn or corroded, it may seem OK until a load is placed on it.
While the cables are disconnected at the motor see if the throttle and shift operations of the motor work OK. That will eliminate an issue with the motor.

If you run your fingers along the cables, especially where they bend or go through a bushing or grommet and you feel a stiff or swollen spot, that cable is definitely shot.

gradyrod

Reaction score
any tips on how to remove the shift/throttle cables? I took off the plastic rectangular plate that covers the cables, but it seems pretty tough to get low down enough to remove the clips that hold on the cables. Is there something I am missing here, or is it just a little difficult to remove them?

Thanks!

Gradyrod

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you disconnect the cables at the engine and they move with no resistense read on.... I had the same problem last year, was a combination of 2 things. the lower unit needs to come off and the shift lever seal (o-rings) needs to be relaced. This is very common with these evinrude/johnson lower units Allot of crud collects around the top of the seal and restricts the shifting movement also the o-rings swell sometimes. Can also cause you engine to bump in and out of gear and chip gear teeth in low speed. Not a big job but get a new paper seal along with o-rings for the shift shaft guide cover. It might rip when you remove it. 2nd thing I had to do was open up my controll shifter box at the helm, it also was dry. I lubed up all the linkages with lithium grease. You can also use woody wax and spray it in there, it is a good salt water resistent lube. Send me a pm if you need more info.

Here are the part numbers:

0324670 GASKET, Shift rod cover

0318372 O-RING, Shift rod