Shifting Problem

karen ann

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Grady White 257 with a pr of 150 4s. I have problem shifting motors very stiff.I had my mechanic change shifting cables but it didnt solve the problem. Has anyone experienced the problem.Any suggestions as to how to correct the problem ?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Disconnect the shift cables at the motors and go back to the helm and shift. Still hard? Problem is cables and/or helm box. If it's now easy to shift, the problem is at the motor. Check that out and let us know.

Is the complaint when shifting while the engine is running or not running?

seasick

Reaction score
There are some Yami models that have a manufacturing defect in the throttle bushing. You can search the web for Yamaha outboard recalls and see if your motor is one of those models.
I just checked and the F150 was not included in the recall. It was 2003,4 and 5 F200 though 250s

Note that tight throttle cables will also make the shifters hard to operate. Use the shift override button and see if the throttle operate OK.

Is the shifting problem getting into neutral only or both in and out of gear? As asked, are the motors running when the problem occurs?

Last edited:

karen ann

Reaction score
Yes motors are running/ Its all time went you are shifting.

seasick

Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear. When at the dock with the motor running AND with the shift override button depressed, if you now move the throttle (motor won't be shifting because of the override) are the controls hard to move?

karen ann

Reaction score
Disconnect the shift cables at the motors and go back to the helm and shift. Still hard? Problem is cables and/or helm box. If it's now easy to shift, the problem is at the motor. Check that out and let us know.

I guess I wasn't clear. When at the dock with the motor running AND with the shift override button depressed, if you now move the throttle (motor won't be shifting because of the override) are the controls hard to move?
yes

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Karen Ann... we are happy to help, but you have to give us more info and put some more time/effort into your responses/questions. Simply saying "yes" to a number of questions we asked does not help. Specifically, I'm referencing your post #6.

karen ann

Reaction score
Karen Ann... we are happy to help, but you have to give us more info and put some more time/effort into your responses/questions. Simply saying "yes" to a number of questions we asked does not help. Specifically, I'm referencing your post #6.
Yes anytime you move the shift controls they are stiff.its especially stiff when you are shifting.the mechanic changed cables but it didnt correct problem.If anything its worst .the boat was used alot last year so it wasnt from lack of use.I think its contol box .I cant see it as o motor problem because both contols are equally stiff.Unless 1 motor could effect both controls. I did notice if you shift only 1 motor its lock easier than using both

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Grady White 257 with a pr of 150 4s. I have problem shifting motors very stiff.I had my mechanic change shifting cables but it didnt solve the problem. Has anyone experienced the problem.Any suggestions as to how to correct the problem ?

Did the mechanic change ONLY the shift cables or both shift and throttles( 4 cables in all for two motors). In general, all should be replaced at the same time if they are the same age.