Shiply Is Horrible

Barbender

Reaction score
Ok so this is a bit of a rant but can be used as a warning to those of you thinking of using the Shiply Portal for a boat delivery. In November of 2023 I purchased a 05 Grady 282 in Florida after a lot of research, I also had a brand new 11000 LB. trailer built for it as it was travelling from Florida to Blaine Washington and I did not want any issues. I went through the Shiply portal and received a ton of quotes as well as reviewed Shiply's terms of service which pretty much guaranteed I would be happy with the service and get a refund in case things did not go as planned. After reviewing my options I chose a carrier that seemed like a good fit given their experience level and commitment to my satisfaction. I reviewed the contract and made sure insurance was in place, paid my deposit and set up the delivery. Well this is where things got interesting, the carrier showed up with a 3/4 ton truck, did not check over the load or even bother to tie it down on the trailer. Just hitched up and left from the yard where it was held, the company that sold me the trailer where surprised as they were going to strap it down but the driver just pulled away. 4 days later on Christmas I get a call from the dispatcher saying they are sorry to report but the boat and trailer were involved in a accident and to not worry as they will cover everything. Then I get pictures and videos of the accident and the driver is in the middle of a full blown blizzard in South Dakota. I ask the dispatcher why was the driver on the road in what is clearly unsafe conditions to which he never really replies. After a lot of back and forth the insurance company decides to write the boat and trailer off given the damage and logistical challenges given where the boat is located. After several months I finally get a check from the insurance company minus a $5k deductible that the carrier is liable for. They not only refuse to pay it but refuse to refund the money I have paid them for the transport because they had costs associated with crashing my boat and trailer apparently. Anyway I now go back to Shiply and send email after email requesting some support but they completely ignore me and my situation. I get one email after I posted my bad review on their site in which they apologize and say they will look into it. Then radio silence again. It has been 3 1/2 months of pure frustration. The only support I got was from the insurance company that has reached out to the carrier on my behalf to get them to pay the deductible but as of yet still nothing. So in short Shiply is a platform that if everything goes well you should be ok but if things go south you will be left in the cold and ignored. I am out roughly $7k so I am writing this in the hope of saving someone else the frustration and misery that is Shiply! boat overturned.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: family affair

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Obviously boat stayed on trailer in spite of not being tied down. I don't understand how there is no paperwork to be signed when they take the boat and assume liability for it. An untied boat is actually not only a road hazard but totally unprofessional and that carrier should be removed from a pool handling boat transportation.
Sorry for your loss hope you got full value for boat and trailer before deductible/ carriers risk.

Reactions: Barbender

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Are they going to finish the delivery to your location? The boat doesn't look that bad. Is the insurance going to total the boat? You may be able to sort it out.

Who's insurance is supposed to cover the transport from A to B? Did you have insurance on the boat?

I took my car in for service to the Nissan dealer one time. The car got broken into and damaged. Dealer said their insurance doesn't cover customer cars - you have to go thru your own insurance. What is your deal?

Barbender

Reaction score
It was the carriers insurance that covered the boat and trailer and no they never delivered it to the final destination. It was a little more than halfway here before crashing. From the other side you can see that the trailer is completely destroyed, the front of it sheared off and all 4 tires and rims were blown. I never thought to check through my own insurance but I am guessing they will say take it up with the carrier but you bring up a good point.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Damn... don't know what else to say other than damn... sorry that happened and hopefully you can get compensated for their incompetence as well as find another boat. I've purchased 3 boats on the east coast and on all of them, I checked with shipping companies like UShip every time and each time, I decided to do the drive myself. The reasons for it were mostly the cost, but also in the back of my mind there was always the thought of something like this happening. I figured I'm not going to pay a company double to do the drive myself, sometimes even more than that, and then what happens if there is an incident? Who is to blame? Will I be made whole? Will I have to pay out of pocket or have my insurance pay for the whole thing? In the back of my mind I could see there being an incident like this where they got into an accident a couple thousand miles away and I feel like I'm helpless since there's nothing that I can do about it. Also, I wanted to be in charge of my own fate, as well as that of my boat. If there was going to be an incident or accident, I wanted to be the one responsible as well as be upset at myself for the issue, not someone else for destroying my boat and then not caring about what they'd done. Clearly the weather is quite bad, based off the picture alone, and there's no reason why they should've been out there trailering a boat. I'm guessing they were trying to do it as quickly as possible instead of taking a few days off, because that would've eaten into their profit margin. Which was another one of my concerns. I'm once again sorry for what happened with your boat and hope you can get it all sorted out as quickly and as pain-free as possible.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A lot of questions here for sure. The problem here is everything has probabilities and they compound with all the decisions that made. Was the truck sufficient to be towing that load? Weather, driver experience, driver judgement, driver competence and alertness road conditions etc. etc... Just sux to see anything like this, accidents, violence etc. etc... when it happens. Wish you the best, prob not going to see that $5K unless you really go after them.

Barbender

Reaction score
Damn... don't know what else to say other than damn... sorry that happened and hopefully you can get compensated for their incompetence as well as find another boat. I've purchased 3 boats on the east coast and on all of them, I checked with shipping companies like UShip every time and each time, I decided to do the drive myself. The reasons for it were mostly the cost, but also in the back of my mind there was always the thought of something like this happening. I figured I'm not going to pay a company double to do the drive myself, sometimes even more than that, and then what happens if there is an incident? Who is to blame? Will I be made whole? Will I have to pay out of pocket or have my insurance pay for the whole thing? In the back of my mind I could see there being an incident like this where they got into an accident a couple thousand miles away and I feel like I'm helpless since there's nothing that I can do about it. Also, I wanted to be in charge of my own fate, as well as that of my boat. If there was going to be an incident or accident, I wanted to be the one responsible as well as be upset at myself for the issue, not someone else for destroying my boat and then not caring about what they'd done. Clearly the weather is quite bad, based off the picture alone, and there's no reason why they should've been out there trailering a boat. I'm guessing they were trying to do it as quickly as possible instead of taking a few days off, because that would've eaten into their profit margin. Which was another one of my concerns. I'm once again sorry for what happened with your boat and hope you can get it all sorted out as quickly and as pain-free as possible.
I am contemplating that on my next purchase, looking at a Grady out of the NE since all the Florida boats I look at are soaked in the transom. Did you drive from the west to the east and back or did you fly out and rent a truck for the drive home? What you are proposing makes a lot of sense, specially given the frustration with the accident etc.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I am contemplating that on my next purchase, looking at a Grady out of the NE since all the Florida boats I look at are soaked in the transom. Did you drive from the west to the east and back or did you fly out and rent a truck for the drive home? What you are proposing makes a lot of sense, specially given the frustration with the accident etc.
Why would a NE boat not have a wet transom when a Florida boat would?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've done the trek 3 different times in I guess it would be 2 different ways. The first time was in June of 2017, I bought the boat from a yacht broker as well as went through my credit union and used a surveyor on top of that to act in my place essentially. Everything checked out on the boat, so my credit union wired the yacht broker the remaining money and then the boat was mine. It was about a week before the 4th of July, checked with a bunch of shipping companies, UShip and several others... all of which said they were going to be at least 2+ weeks out and that it would take 3-4 days to get me the boat after they picked it up. I was getting quotes anywhere from $4,000 on up to over $7,000 and doing the math, I figured I could do it myself for less than $2,000. So, I drove out, bought the boat, trailered her back to Seattle and my total expenses were indeed just under $2,000. The journey took 7 days and I got back home early in the evening on day seven. If you have the time, effort and desire, as well as want to go the cheapest route... that's what I'd recommend doing. Sure, you'll spend a little on hotel rooms if you stay in them, but it is the cheapest way of going about doing things, and depending on your schedule it can be one of the quicker methods. There were at least two days where I put in 1,100-1,200 miles of driving each day. And the biggest reason for doing it on my own was because the king salmon season was about 2 weeks away, of which I wanted the boat to be ready for it as well as crabbing. I didn't want to wait until after that as well as pay more to have someone else do it for me, if I could avoid it.

The second and third times, I flew out, looked at the boats, had a surveyor for boat two, bought it and then rented a Ford F-250 from Enterprise rent a truck and trailered her back that way. The rental was a bit more expensive, though I forget exact numbers, and they do charge you both by the mile as well as a one way rental fee in that I picked it up in Maryland and dropped it off in Seattle. You also have to pay for a plane ticket, so depending on how much that costs, it could make it considerably more or not. The benefit of flying out there is that the flight is only around 5-6 hours and you don't waste 3-4 days of driving out there, if that's a concern for you. I caught a red eye flight and got there in the morning around 8-9 am, giving me the entire morning to look over the boat, get the rental truck setup, hook up the trailer to the truck, stop and get a few tools and then start driving. Which is nice because if you get a morning flight and land in the late afternoon or early evening, you waste a day or only get a partial day to start out driving. Which isn't bad, if you want an easy first day. Trek number 2 I figure cost closer for $2,500-$3,000 because of the rental truck, one way truck rental, plane ticket and so forth. Boat number 3 was the same thing but Enterprise wouldn't do a one way pickup truck rental, nor would any of the other rental truck companies. Most companies claimed that they didn't have the inventory to do so because of covid? So, I rented a U-Haul box truck and made the 3,009 mile trek back to Seattle that way. This was the most expensive trip that I did because U-Haul did the same as above where they charge you for the rental, a one way fee as well as the mileage. Between that, lodging, food and everything else... I spent just under $4k doing it that way. Though, I was out in Maryland for several days for the purchase, the sea trial run, the Grady White dealer that I bought the boat from had their shop double and triple check the trailer because they knew I was driving across country, etc. So, it would've been a bit cheaper had I not needed to spend the extra several days there.

All in all, I think the best way is to fly out, rent a truck and drive it back. It's the quickest means of going about doing it, of which I can do a one way trek in 3-3.5 days depending on how fast I'm driving and how far in the day. Most people probably aren't going to want to go balls to the wall like that for the driving, and the last trek I did most days around 700 miles or so in each day. Which is completely doable, especially in the spring/early summer when you've got a solid 8-10+ hours of daylight and you're driving east to west, which you'll go through different time zones and gain time as opposed to losing it. If you have the time and want to save money, driving out and back is a decent option, that being said on day 3, I was getting a little bit antsy and thought to myself... I should've spent a little more money, flown out and saved some time driving. But like I said, if you don't mind the drive and want to see the country or make a roadtrip out of it, it's not a horrible option either. I'd never driven across country before and it was fun to say you've done it once, out and back. I think your biggest considerations will be if there's a rental truck company willing to do a one way truck rental, costs of renting a truck, fuel costs and so forth. Yourself being in the Seattle area know that it's around $4.50 a gallon for gasoline out here, though it's usually always considerably cheaper in the midwest. But, I'd add up your potential expenses, how long you think either way will take and what makes the most sense for you. If you do drive one way or both, in Montana make sure you call ahead or book a reservation beforehand. Apparently there's so much traffic going through Montana that most towns or cities don't have enough hotels/rooms to be able to accommodate everyone going through. So be sure to make a reservation I'd say at least the morning of, if not possibly a day or two in advance. I also tend to avoid the Florida boats, but either way, good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldpizza

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm no expert, that being said... Florida boats are much more susceptible to hurricanes, floods and even tornadoes. Of which the resulting damage would make me want to avoid most of them, as would heat/sun exposure and so forth. Whether that makes for a wet transom or not? For me, it's more damages and repairs as well as visually cosmetic things that I'd rather not have to deal with. Generally, the further north you go, the less issues you tend to have with things like that.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Season 12 months vs 6 months would be the prevailing wisdom.
Yes there are a lot of factors but, for a larger salt water boat kept in water, I would put Florida as a negative factor.
The ideal boat is a trailer queen, garaged, lake boat from New Mexico.

Coastboater

Reaction score
That sucks, big time.
Hopefully, you’ll be made whole. Perhaps you can still get the boat at a salvage offering?

Barbender

Reaction score
I've done the trek 3 different times in I guess it would be 2 different ways. The first time was in June of 2017, I bought the boat from a yacht broker as well as went through my credit union and used a surveyor on top of that to act in my place essentially. Everything checked out on the boat, so my credit union wired the yacht broker the remaining money and then the boat was mine. It was about a week before the 4th of July, checked with a bunch of shipping companies, UShip and several others... all of which said they were going to be at least 2+ weeks out and that it would take 3-4 days to get me the boat after they picked it up. I was getting quotes anywhere from $4,000 on up to over $7,000 and doing the math, I figured I could do it myself for less than $2,000. So, I drove out, bought the boat, trailered her back to Seattle and my total expenses were indeed just under $2,000. The journey took 7 days and I got back home early in the evening on day seven. If you have the time, effort and desire, as well as want to go the cheapest route... that's what I'd recommend doing. Sure, you'll spend a little on hotel rooms if you stay in them, but it is the cheapest way of going about doing things, and depending on your schedule it can be one of the quicker methods. There were at least two days where I put in 1,100-1,200 miles of driving each day. And the biggest reason for doing it on my own was because the king salmon season was about 2 weeks away, of which I wanted the boat to be ready for it as well as crabbing. I didn't want to wait until after that as well as pay more to have someone else do it for me, if I could avoid it.

The second and third times, I flew out, looked at the boats, had a surveyor for boat two, bought it and then rented a Ford F-250 from Enterprise rent a truck and trailered her back that way. The rental was a bit more expensive, though I forget exact numbers, and they do charge you both by the mile as well as a one way rental fee in that I picked it up in Maryland and dropped it off in Seattle. You also have to pay for a plane ticket, so depending on how much that costs, it could make it considerably more or not. The benefit of flying out there is that the flight is only around 5-6 hours and you don't waste 3-4 days of driving out there, if that's a concern for you. I caught a red eye flight and got there in the morning around 8-9 am, giving me the entire morning to look over the boat, get the rental truck setup, hook up the trailer to the truck, stop and get a few tools and then start driving. Which is nice because if you get a morning flight and land in the late afternoon or early evening, you waste a day or only get a partial day to start out driving. Which isn't bad, if you want an easy first day. Trek number 2 I figure cost closer for $2,500-$3,000 because of the rental truck, one way truck rental, plane ticket and so forth. Boat number 3 was the same thing but Enterprise wouldn't do a one way pickup truck rental, nor would any of the other rental truck companies. Most companies claimed that they didn't have the inventory to do so because of covid? So, I rented a U-Haul box truck and made the 3,009 mile trek back to Seattle that way. This was the most expensive trip that I did because U-Haul did the same as above where they charge you for the rental, a one way fee as well as the mileage. Between that, lodging, food and everything else... I spent just under $4k doing it that way. Though, I was out in Maryland for several days for the purchase, the sea trial run, the Grady White dealer that I bought the boat from had their shop double and triple check the trailer because they knew I was driving across country, etc. So, it would've been a bit cheaper had I not needed to spend the extra several days there.

All in all, I think the best way is to fly out, rent a truck and drive it back. It's the quickest means of going about doing it, of which I can do a one way trek in 3-3.5 days depending on how fast I'm driving and how far in the day. Most people probably aren't going to want to go balls to the wall like that for the driving, and the last trek I did most days around 700 miles or so in each day. Which is completely doable, especially in the spring/early summer when you've got a solid 8-10+ hours of daylight and you're driving east to west, which you'll go through different time zones and gain time as opposed to losing it. If you have the time and want to save money, driving out and back is a decent option, that being said on day 3, I was getting a little bit antsy and thought to myself... I should've spent a little more money, flown out and saved some time driving. But like I said, if you don't mind the drive and want to see the country or make a roadtrip out of it, it's not a horrible option either. I'd never driven across country before and it was fun to say you've done it once, out and back. I think your biggest considerations will be if there's a rental truck company willing to do a one way truck rental, costs of renting a truck, fuel costs and so forth. Yourself being in the Seattle area know that it's around $4.50 a gallon for gasoline out here, though it's usually always considerably cheaper in the midwest. But, I'd add up your potential expenses, how long you think either way will take and what makes the most sense for you. If you do drive one way or both, in Montana make sure you call ahead or book a reservation beforehand. Apparently there's so much traffic going through Montana that most towns or cities don't have enough hotels/rooms to be able to accommodate everyone going through. So be sure to make a reservation I'd say at least the morning of, if not possibly a day or two in advance. I also tend to avoid the Florida boats, but either way, good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to message me.
This is really great information. I sincerely appreciate all the time and detail you put into your response. If this boat works out that I am looking at in Mass I am going to fly out and trailer it back. Currently have a survey being done on the boat on April 24 so will know pretty quick. Thanks again.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Barbender

Reaction score
I am guessing it has to do with what others have posted here. Two of the Gradys I surveyed clearly had hurricane damage that was patched up but the level of moisture was unreal. As well what I am seeing is the transom plate on Florida boats seem a lot more corroded than boats further north, I am guessing the environment in Florida is to blame.

Chutch

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wow. Sorry you had a bad experience.
I sold my old Pursuit 2460 and trailer to a guy in Vancouver (I'm in Orlando Fl) sight unseen with a survey. He arranged shipment on his new to him 1996 trailer. The shipper showed up with a bill of lading that he and i signed and i retained a copy. The driver barely inspected the load and headed out. Full Payment received via wire transfer prior to shipment. All went well he sent me pictures of him salmon fishing a few months later.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is really great information. I sincerely appreciate all the time and detail you put into your response. If this boat works out that I am looking at in Mass I am going to fly out and trailer it back. Currently have a survey being done on the boat on April 24 so will know pretty quick. Thanks again.
Of course! Boat buying can be stressful even though it shouldn't be, it should be fun and exciting to know you're getting the boat you want, in the condition that it's supposed to be in. Lots of guys buy out of impulse, they don't do any research beforehand or they don't have a surveyor come out and inspect the boat before they buy it, etc. There's a thread over on THT where a guy just bought a pontoon boat for $10k and the next day the engine supposedly blew up on it. He's claiming that the seller disconnected the wires for the audible alarms as well as changed up decals and so forth on the engine cowling. Says the outboard was supposed to be EFI of some kind but his is actually carbed. So, I always like to give what little insight and/or knowledge I have on the matter so that hopefully someone can avoid issues like that or even potentially this one. Especially with things like paying for a surveyor, and/or if people ask about cross country trips, as I've personally done 3 of them on my own. Good luck, hopefully the new survey comes with good news that you want to hear and post some updates when you get a chance.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am guessing it has to do with what others have posted here. Two of the Gradys I surveyed clearly had hurricane damage that was patched up but the level of moisture was unreal. As well what I am seeing is the transom plate on Florida boats seem a lot more corroded than boats further north, I am guessing the environment in Florida is to blame.
I think a big part of it has to do with materials or products used on the bang cap. For instance, I believe some used a vinyl bang cap whereas others used aluminum? With the vinyl especially, or even the aluminum, and the extreme heat and moisture or humidity, the bang cap can expand or become rigid and create a gap for water to get in. On top of that, you've also got a ton of humidity/moisture in the air that can be intrusive into the transom of the boat just sitting on a trailer or whatnot. Which imo is just common sense, though Florida does also supposedly get around 1 day of snow every year, as well as some freezing temperatures, or close to it. So, going from the extreme heat, to freezing temperatures and back to extreme heat can definitely do some damage and cause issues to boats and other items as well.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow. Sorry you had a bad experience.
I sold my old Pursuit 2460 and trailer to a guy in Vancouver (I'm in Orlando Fl) sight unseen with a survey. He arranged shipment on his new to him 1996 trailer. The shipper showed up with a bill of lading that he and i signed and i retained a copy. The driver barely inspected the load and headed out. Full Payment received via wire transfer prior to shipment. All went well he sent me pictures of him salmon fishing a few months later.
I mean I think one of the biggest parts of the equation would be the weather as well as the road conditions. If you're traveling in June vs December or January is going to make a huge difference with potential snow and ice on the ground. Trek number 2 for me had some snow and icy conditions going over a mountain pass in eastern Montana. Just took it nice and easy, that being said it wasn't anything close to being what it looked like in the OP's picture.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Season 12 months vs 6 months would be the prevailing wisdom.
Yes there are a lot of factors but, for a larger salt water boat kept in water, I would put Florida as a negative factor.
The ideal boat is a trailer queen, garaged, lake boat from New Mexico.
a florida boat wont have any freeze/thaw cycles. given that its likely either way to get a wet transom, id rather have one that stayed above freezing

OP - might be a good time to have a lawyer send a letter. sucks to go down that path, but it just might be the nudge they need to cover the remaining 7k you are out of pocket

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I guess it all depends on 1/how old the boat is 2) how has it been stored 3) how has it been cared for. Most of the boat here in my area are pretty well maintained and stored in racks either outdoor or indoor (hurricane 5 in my case) of course many sit on lifts but very few after all in water all the time.
I am surge it also is a case of what size boat it is but bottom line is I would not be afraid of FL boats they are used all year long and kept running not sitting in freezing temps half of the year and if not properly winterized something will freeze.
So bottom line do your research have a good surveyor, fly out to be with the surveyor when he does his job, that would cost one day and flights but would be a safeguard. The penny pinching is not sitting well with boating so invest enough when getting it so it can be fully enjoyed.
Transportation across the country is a biggie and there I can not give any advice, boats are made to float not to sit on a hard trailer bumping across highways............but they all do that as well at some point, even the biggest ones. So prepping it for long haul is a science in itself and cleaning it from all road grime unless wrapped and even then....
Good luck and happy life with whatever choice you make

H