Shipping GW 228 in a container

mous

Reaction score
Is it possible to accommodate 2004 GW 228 with bimini top in a container? the main problem is the width (8 feet) which is slightly bigger than the internal dimensions of a container even 45ft high capacity ones. Any idea to fit the boat and the trailer within the highest possible container (45ft) without damaging it? Does the removal of Rub Rail help?
thank you for your feedback015.JPG

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Measure twice - cut once!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It's an old adage from woodworking.

Aside from getting obvious accurate measurements, will the shipping company allow you to do it? Fire hazard, load shift would be a major concern for the carrier, I would think. They may not be insured for it. Interesting though as I just read a post on THT about a guy wanting to ship a much smaller boat to Hawaii. Not in a container though.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use to buy and sell boats for export, most went to AU. The shipping/logistics company will build a cradle that sets the boat at an angle and will put it into the container, axles come off trailer, most times trailer frame is hung on ceiling or wall of trailer , wheels and tires along side boat on floor. IMG_1915.JPGIMG_1916.JPG

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I understand that the rules in AU for trailer dimensions are considerably different than in the US. You may want do some inquiries to see if it is worth even shipping the trailer with the boat. IF indeed AU is where your boat is heading.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I understand that the rules in AU for trailer dimensions are considerably different than in the US. You may want do some inquiries to see if it is worth even shipping the trailer with the boat. IF indeed AU is where your boat is heading.

True,,,seems I remember the max width was 98" in AU. Most of our American trailers are 102"

suzukidave

Reaction score
a 4" axle width adjustment on a trailer is easily doable and i will bet a lot cheaper than buying a trailer in australia.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
a 4" axle width adjustment on a trailer is easily doable and i will bet a lot cheaper than buying a trailer in australia.

How do you compensate for the width of the trailer frame if you narrow the axles down? I don't have 4" to come in with the tires. And I know it's 2" per side, still don't have the room. IMG_1751.JPG

suzukidave

Reaction score
assuming that's a 102" trailer,, i'd need to know the gap between the inner tire wall and fender to answer your question. it would some combination of skinnier tires and rims, rims with more offset, modifying or removing the fender, and, as a last resort, shortening the axle or installing skinnier hubs.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I will start with Don't put it in a container you are risking damage to the hull, it is not meant to have all the weight on its side. You can fit it in a high container but you may have to strip the trailer somewhat. It cheaper in a container but the risk is there.
Trailers in AU can be 2.5 mtrs wide ( about 98 1/4" in your language).
It is usually easy to convert 102" USA trailer, you can move the guards in as far as they can go and cut or change the axles . I have done it a few times . As long as you know in AU you need brakes on all wheels and a breakaway so electric over hydraulic is the cheapest option, you can also use the Alco system ( air over hydraulic), change the lights , mudflaps , change the coupling to 50mm, clearance lights , reflectors , compliance plate, roadworthy from authorised inspection station and a weighbridge ticket.
I just bought another GW228 on a trailer she will be shipped from Jacksonville the end of January arrives in Port Kembla early March.
Are you in AU Mous? If you are and you need advice to comply your trailer PM me .

Fishtales

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I would investigate the cradle if I were going to do it. Those things can get handled rough during the process. I wouldn't want it tightly packed inside. I wouldn't remove the rub rail. Just asking for problems and it is you final barrier to take bumps and bruises.