Ship's Bell

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Massachusetts boat law still says

A sound-producing device is required on all state and federally controlled waters. It is essential during periods of reduced visibility or whenever a vessel operator needs to signal his or her intentions or position.

If on State Waters

Less than 26 feet long (includes PWCs)
Mouth-, hand-, or power-operated whistle or horn, or some other means to make an efficient sound signal audible for at least one-half mile required

26 feet long or longer
Whistle or horn, and a bell audible for at least one-half mile required

Notice the "AND" pertaining to boats 26 feet and longer requiring a bell.

I just dropped 125 bucks at West Marine for a damn bell! Really? Talk about an antiquated law! I know that I may never be asked if boarded but you never know...

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I just dropped 125 bucks at West Marine
Not intending to rub it in but if you add marine or boat to the name, your always going to pay an inflated price.
Granted going to WM will get you what you need with the least running around but you paid for it.
A bell is a bell but for arguments sake in a minute I found this on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-Fog ... c6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teacher-School- ... 1e9dc2282b

Either of these will do the job, for legal reasons and practical use.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Lt.Mike said:
I just dropped 125 bucks at West Marine
Not intending to rub it in but if you add marine or boat to the name, your always going to pay an inflated price.
Granted going to WM will get you what you need with the least running around but you paid for it.
A bell is a bell but for arguments sake in a minute I found this on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Boat-Fog ... c6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teacher-School- ... 1e9dc2282b

Either of these will do the job, for legal reasons and practical use.

You are 100% right about the $$$. I hope to be running the boat this weekend so time was not on my side. Just read about the regs today. The first one may have done it but, according to a boating safety course instructor I spoke with, In order to comply, the mouth of the bell must be 7 7/8" wide.

My bad for not knowing...

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
In order to comply, the mouth of the bell must be 7 7/8" wide.
I wasn't aware of that rule. Good to know.
You've got to be patient when you can in finding boating needs. I go to WM, Overton's, Defender, Marine wholesalers, and Ebay to name a few. It seems everyone will out do the others on one item or the other at different times. West Marine does run some decent sales though. I get my towboat insurance through them and get coupons that have saved me quite alot. Patience and timing pays.
Example; I bought a 4.0 washdown pump, bronze pickup strainer and valve this spring.
Got the pump on sale and the name brand bronze parts on ebay. All told if I bought all of that at WM off sale, no coupons ($30 worth) I would have spent another $200.
oh ya www.iboats.com is another great source.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup, there are definitely some strange laws out there. I don't know if it's still true, but I believe NY has the same law.

Here's another strange one. While this can pertain to any boat, think specifically of "go fast" boats like Baja, Fountain, Donzi, Cigarette, etc. There are three basic styles of exhaust:

-- Through the prop hub
-- Straight out through the transom
-- A switch that allows the "Captain" to control which way the exhaust goes. This is commonly referred to as "Captain's Call" exhuast

In PA (maybe other states?), #1 and #3 are perfectly legal (with some decibel req's). But the minute the "switch" is added, it is ILLEGAL! Makes no sense, right? Apparently, it goes back to the old days of hot rods (cars) when guys would add a diverter/switch to bypass their mufflers. The gov't made the SWITCH illegal to stop that. For some reason it carried over to boats. Ridiculous.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have never been asked for a bell during CG boardings. Not sure who would enforce a MA law?

Item 8 - Sound Producing Devices / Bell:

To comply with Navigation Rules and for distress signaling purposes all boats must carry a sound producing device (whistle, horn, siren, etc.) capable of a 4-second blast audible for ½ mile. *Boats larger than 39.4 ft. are also required to have a bell (see Navigation Rules.)

*Under a recent change, a vessel 12 meters (39.4 ft) to less than 20 meters (65 ft) is no longer required to carry a bell on board.

The Coast Guard said: "The bottom-line, a bell is no longer required on a vessel less than 20 meters in length. That of course means a bell is not required for those same vessels for successful completion of a VSC."

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Legend said:
I have never been asked for a bell during CG boardings. Not sure who would enforce a MA law?

Local Law Enforcement
Harbor Master
Environmental Police
And if in State waters, Coast Guard

Any one of which can board my boat at any time and enforce Mass law.

Legend, I seldom get boarded and my experience when it happens has always been pleasant and they want to ensure I have the important things like PFDs, Flares etc. It stinks that the CG would ease the requirement for a bell and Mass still has it on the books. But, it's still on the books... The bell will get stowed and probably never get seen until emptying my gear next fall. I just wish I read up on this months ago so I could have found a cheaper source than We$t Marine.

Maybe I can make a thing of it on the dock at the marina? Ding Ding Ding, Docktail time. :dance