Shopping for Grady White Sailfish

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the site but have been doing a lot of reading. I am looking at two GW one is a 1994 272 Sailfish with 225 Johnsons motors and the other is a 1998 272 Sailfish with 225 Yammies motors. I will be travling this weekend to take a look at these boats, I read about the plastic thru hull fitting, but is there anything else I should look out for?
Thanks for any help.

richmake

Reaction score
the list goes on...but seriously...the hull will most likely be in decent shape...it's all about the power!
e-mail the photos of each vessel to me and I'll give you an honest answer..

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome, a professional surveyor experienced in Grady's checks many things, there are many many things that are more substantial than thru hulls.

The 1998 Sailfish has the SeaV2 hull, the first year to appear on the Sailfish model.

Good luck!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BobP said:
Welcome, a professional surveyor experienced in Grady's checks many things, there are many many things that are more substantial than thru hulls.

The 1998 Sailfish has the SeaV2 hull, the first year to appear on the Sailfish model.

Good luck!

Bob, not sure where you got that information, but my '93 Sailfish had the SeaV2 hull, and I think they had it on the '92. Certainly by 1994, all the models had SeaV2 hulls.

richmake

Reaction score
Capt Bill said:
BobP said:

Good luck!

Bob, not sure where you got that information, but my '93 Sailfish had the SeaV2 hull, and I think they had it on the '92. Certainly by 1994, all the models had SeaV2 hulls.

I think your right 93 for sure...maybe even a 92
90/91 they changed the interior for sure
the 92/93 sportbridge models with the bracket are fantastic fishing platforms....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Whoa !, I apologize.

I meant to say, the 1998 is the first year the running V bottom of the hull went all the way to the stern, prior the bottom under the euro was flat.
Yes, 1992 is the first year of the SeaV2 hull on the Sailfish.

I'm still recovering from withdrawal of GG being offline for many days !

Plum Crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, both owners said the boats have been survey an have the papers and the engines has been tested for compression. All motors tested good. I have question from my wife she wants to know does the water heater works only at the dock up to 100v?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, water heater only works on shore power unless you have a genset or an inverter system.

I recommend the OX66 225 EFI Yamahas way over the carb Johnsons. My boat burned 135g on the same trip where a buddy with the same boat using Evinrudes burned in the 160s. The EFIs are also a good deal less noisy.

Tunacious D

Reaction score
I think your right 93 for sure...maybe even a 92
90/91 they changed the interior for sure
the 92/93 sportbridge models with the bracket are fantastic fishing platforms....[/quote]

AMEN!

Gary M

Reaction score
I had a 94 Sailfish with 225 Evinrudes. Smokey, thirsty, guzzles the oil. If the 98 Yammies are EFIs you'll get about a 15-20% boost in fuel economy as well as burning far less oil. If the Yammies are carbed, I'd still go for those.....

Better resale on the newer boat with Yammies too........