Shore power on a 268 Islander

cmcd268

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 1998 268 Islander that I bough used and in need of restoring. I have the manual but don't fully understand the shore power connection. Do I turn on the accessory battery switch to get power to the cabin panel, or is there a fuse somewhere that may be blown, or am I missing something else?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The battery switch is the DC side. It's not very clear from what you wrote, but can we assume you're talking only about the AC side and that you currently DO NOT have power at the panel?

There are a couple breakers... at the dockside power, then usually a main breaker by where you plug in at the boat, then a breaker on the panel.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You may have a galvanic isolator under the gunnel (usually in a GW) that may have a breaker. Normally if this is closed and you connect to shore power you have power to the main breaker.

Reactions: efx and SkunkBoat

Geaux_Army

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My 1996 Islander doesnt have shore power. Should run off your house battery. I have not seen an Islander with shore power.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
A call to Grady will likely get you the "Dockside Power Wiring" diagram that will be helpful to you. Pasted below is just an example for my boat, a 2007 Sailfish 282.

1701346150924.png

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 268 Islander with shore power. Get a copy of owners manual from GW site. It is quite useful. Page 7-14 and 7-15 show how AC is wired. 30 amp twist-lock connector can ge unscrewed and power to connector can be checked there. Page 7-17 shows accessory wiring. Red/Pink and Brown/red are DC power to the boat. Hardtop wiring on page 7-20 10 wag black and red/white (20 amp fuse shown (???).

The galvanic isolator under the gunnel is as show above. 30 amp inlet feeds to the paneling the cabin. I have never seen a 30 amp main breaker as shown above - mine is on the panel in the cabin.

Three batteries and 3 switches. House battery all the way to the Starboard side. There is a red button breaker next to the house switch. I have never had to mess with it but SkunkBoat hates this style breaker and recommends replacing it. There are a number of wires positive and grounds that connect to the battery. These wires feed the DC power to the helm, cabin and overhead electronics box. Look for heavy gauge wire (#8) that might be loose.

If you look at photo upper right corner you can see the DC breaker with the red button. I installed batters terminals and connected all the wires to them. This way when I take the batteries out only have the terminal and the charger wires to put back on. That 4th switch and small fuse block go forward to a 4th battery that I installed forward (non-standard-for bow thruster).

Original battery charger replaced with a ProMariner ProSport HD 20 Plus.

Get a volt meter and start at the back of the boat to check things out!

Update your profile to add location - sometimes helpful.

25 Bait 4.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: efx

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hookup, are you sure you don't have a main breaker by the power inlet plug? It's often under a covered lid/box and sometimes is tucked up a little higher than the power inlet. That would be strange if you don't.

This can be a dangerous situation - there is nothing protecting the wiring from the inlet to the panel... which means a fire from a bum wire is a possibility. Maybe this was installed by a previous owner? Not that you likely need ANOTHER thing on your to-do list :) but you might want to consider installing one. Of course, if you don't use shore power, it's a moot point.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hookup, are you sure you don't have a main breaker by the power inlet plug? It's often under a covered lid/box and sometimes is tucked up a little higher than the power inlet. That would be strange if you don't.

This can be a dangerous situation - there is nothing protecting the wiring from the inlet to the panel... which means a fire from a bum wire is a possibility. Maybe this was installed by a previous owner? Not that you likely need ANOTHER thing on your to-do list :) but you might want to consider installing one. Of course, if you don't use shore power, it's a moot point.
No breaker. The black plug above the power cord is for my 12 VDC power for electric reel. There is a breaker in front of the isolator - I'll assume this will protect me. This is factory. I use my shore power all year - boat is almost always plugged in.

I have had a 290 Luhrs, 42 Egg Harbor and fish on a 56' Ocean and 56' F&S - none had breakers near the power cord inlet. My friends 38 Wellcraft Cozumel had breakers next to the dual 30 amp cord inlets.

Power In 1.jpeg Power In 2.jpeg

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No breaker. The black plug above the power cord is for my 12 VDC power for electric reel. There is a breaker in front of the isolator - I'll assume this will protect me. This is factory. I use my shore power all year - boat is almost always plugged in.

I have had a 290 Luhrs, 42 Egg Harbor and fish on a 56' Ocean and 56' F&S - none had breakers near the power cord inlet. My friends 38 Wellcraft Cozumel had breakers next to the dual 30 amp cord inlets.
There's some kind of "rule" about the breaker being within "X" distance from the power source (in this case the power inlet on the boat). It seems like where your breaker is located is probably within that distance. Sounds like you're good! It's "nice" when it's right there at the power inlet, though - just more convenient, I suppose.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
M
My 1996 Islander doesnt have shore power. Should run off your house battery. I have not seen an Islander with shore power.
My islander has shore power and an AC side to the panel.