shore power question

oasis04

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is there any ramifications of having shore power hooked up and energized while on the lift?

seasick

Reaction score
In theory no, but any fault can be a major issue. The lift should be ground fault protection Shore power at a commercial dock does not have to be ground fault protected but in your case if a residential property, I would expect ground fault protection of some sort. Having protection on the shore power feed as well as the feed for the lift will greatly reduce the chance of a fault being life threatening. Remember that also applies to anything else near the vessel that you might come into contact with light lighting, receptacles for who knows what etc.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
In my county in Florida all dock power is GFCI. I have my 330 on a lift and leave shore power on 24/7. I run a smart on board battery charger, a cabin fan and dehumidifier at all times. My lift has large sacrificial anodes grounded into the water for galvanic protection.

oasis04

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
thanks for the replies.
All the power on my dock is gf protected

seasick

Reaction score
Great! Don't forget to test the devices once in a while

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would want to protect the wire if possible. Wouldn't want someone to get hurt if accidentally cut.