shorter nav light?

zimm

Reaction score
My grady has a perko 2 pin base at the top of the windshield. The grady specific light pole is bent near the bottom and then the pole is about 2 1/2 feet up in order to clear the bimini top. Great for anchoring, but looks ridiculous if the top is down and running at dawn/dusk.

I went through all 20 pages of the terrible perko website without finding what I want: A 6" to a foot long removable light pole that will plug into the 2 pin base to use as a running light. Is there not such a beast out there? Maybe I can make my own by buying the 24" model and cutting it down? The only short ones I see are fixed base models for t-tops. Any other better ideas?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters

CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

SUBCHAPTER E: INLAND NAVIGATION RULES

PART 84: ANNEX I: POSITIONING AND TECHNICAL DETAILS OF LIGHTS AND SHAPES

84.03 - Vertical positioning and spacing of lights.

(a) On a power-driven vessel of 20 meters or more in length the masthead lights shall be placed as follows:

(1) The forward masthead light, or if only one masthead light is carried, then that light, at a height above the hull of not less than 5 meters, and, if the breadth of the vessel exceeds 5 meters, then at a height above the hull not less than such breadth, so however that the light need not be placed at a greater height above the hull than 8 meters;

(2) When two masthead lights are carried the after one shall be at least 2 meters vertically higher than the forward one.

(b) The vertical separation of the masthead lights of power-driven vessels shall be such that in all normal conditions of trim the after light will be seen over and separate from the forward light at a distance of 1000 meters from the stem when viewed from water level.

(c) The masthead light of a power-driven vessel of 12 meters but less than 20 meters in length shall be placed at a height above the gunwale of not less than 2.5 meters.

(d) The masthead light, or the all-round light described in Rule 23(c), of a power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall be carried at least one meter higher than the sidelights.

The factory set-up not only keeps the light from degrading your night vision, but it meets the requirements of federal law.

Brian