Should I have my fuel sender repaired under warranty

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2010 Tournament 275 with twin 150's which was launched April 15th of this year and now have 100 hours on the boat. Since the day I took delivery, the fuel gauge is off by a significant amount and I'm trying to decide whether to leave it or have Grady pay to fix it while the boat is still under warranty. I hold 200 gallons when full and after I've burned 60 - 75 gallons, the gauge still reads close to full (especially while under way). Once I get past 75 gallons used, the gauge starts to move a bit, but it is really only accurate when full and when empty (everything else is a really bad estimate).

I have my engines hooked up to my Garmin 4212 which gives me fuel burn, range, and fuel remaining (I just hit the "refill tank" button when I fill up and it knows that I'm starting with 200 gallons again). The Garmin is 99% accurate in telling me remaining fuel (when I go to refill, it is within a few gallons).

My one year warranty will cover through April of next year. I have to have another repair done under warranty so fixing the fuel sender at the same time is probably not a big deal (other than pulling the sender and reinstalling it). Everything I've read on this forum and others tells me that senders are notoriously inaccurate (some more than others) and thus I'm wondering if I should just leave it, or whether to have it fixed (or attempted to be fixed) under warranty.

Would love some input on the subject.

Thanks,

Ken

GWTour275

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I the same boat, an 09 however, and while the fuel bar display on the command link gauge is not very accurate the fuel burn number on the same gauge is spot on within 1 gallon or so. I do not even look at the bar gauge but rather rely totally on the fuel burn number.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ken: I suspect that both Grady and your delear would rather fix it than have a customer disappointed about some aspect of his new boat. Give them that chance.

Rob

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not "accurate", but reasonable. if yours is not even close, have it fixed. both mine were (are) well within reasonable ranges. ron