Should I purchase this 2012 Yamaha F250

Tdurr22

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok here is my dilemma, I'm refurbishing a 1983 seafarer and converting it from I/O to a outboard with a bracket. I'm on a tight budget and have a opportunity to purchase a 2012 f250X yamaha for 3k. Reason it's this cheap is it's fouling spark plugs at around 10 hrs. This guy has been nothing but honest about this engine. It has been gone thru top to bottom inside and out down to the heads ,rings etc. Final results still fouling plugs. Am I being to optimistic that I can figure it out when 2 or 3 marine techs couldn't? Or should I just move on and not even try it. Just looking for some brass tax honesty of opinion thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think if it was that easy of a fix, then it would've been fixed and re-mounted back on the boat already. Especially like you mentioned, if 2-3 marine techs weren't able to figure it out, unless you have more experience then that, it's a pretty big gamble. Just my thoughts on the matter though, it's your money and if you want to roll the dice then by all means go for it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd prob take a shot at it. You could probably part the thing out worse case scenario if you had to or you could get a great engine on the cheap.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Yes, parting out if even you are unable to fix the fouling plug problem would be worst case scenario.

However, fouling plugs on a 4 stroke is very uncommon and should not happen.
As injection system is rather well controlled my first guess is that the engine is burning a lot of oil and that's bad.
You will discover a lowering engine oil level only after using it for a while.

As most on the engine was already checked and 3 techs where not able to correct the problem I would step away as if you try to fix the problem you may invest other $$$ and fail too.

Chris

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My F250 would foul plugs because it made oil whenever I trolled. The oil level would eventually get high enough in the crankcase that it would go through the breather into the intake manifold. A bad fuel dilution problem like mine can't easily be fixed short of a rebuild. I got rid of my F250 after years of frustration.

On the other hand, as mentioned you could part out the engine for more than $3000. But selling it all off would take time and might be more trouble than it is worth.

Tdurr22

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, parting out if even you are unable to fix the fouling plug problem would be worst case scenario.

However, fouling plugs on a 4 stroke is very uncommon and should not happen.
As injection system is rather well controlled my first guess is that the engine is burning a lot of oil and that's bad.
You will discover a lowering engine oil level only after using it for a while.

As most on the engine was already checked and 3 techs where not able to correct the problem I would step away as if you try to fix the problem you may invest other $$$ and fail too.

Chris
Yeah that's a good point. Think I'm just going to pass and keep looking may end up purchasing a OX66 cheap for now$2500 with rigging and gauges

seasick

Reaction score
If you go the OX66 route, make sure the rigging includes the remote oil tank and harness. Also note that if you add a bracket, the harnesses, lines, and power cables need to be longer.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yeah that's a good point. Think I'm just going to pass and keep looking may end up purchasing a OX66 cheap for now$2500 with rigging and gauges
Sucks gas but goes fast