Should I sell or upgrade?

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2002 Marlin with 2004 Yamaha 200s that have 880 hours. I've put 600 hours on it in the last 5 years. I'm in debate of whether I should upgrade what I have with newer electronics and bells and whistles or sell. I'm interested in the 305 Express for comfort. Is there an optimum time for repowering and selling older engines? Any and all input is appreciated.

Attachments

• fishing.jpg
    fishing.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 26
  • GradyMarlin.JPG
    GradyMarlin.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Ontrailer1.JPG
    Ontrailer1.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Ontrailer2.JPG
    Ontrailer2.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 27

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
not sure you'll find a ton of difference between those two boats. They are very close in size. Would having the different layout be that game changing for you? Understand if you are moving to a 330 or 360, as they are significantly larger. Get a ride on the 305 and see just how much more comfortable it is. If you are talking ride, I'm not sure what you'll find different, but if you are talking about cabin layout, it may well be. Every boat is a compromise somewhere.

When you do the math on all the costs both financial and time about selling what you have and buying another boat which is sure to have gremlins etc. in it, making upgrades to what you have makes a lot of sense. Why the urge for new motors? Those should run for a long time yet. An entire new electronics suite will cost 10k ish for your boat, give or take, depending on how crazy you go. That is probably close to the share a broker would take to sell.

As for motors, you probably would be able to sell the existing power quickly and for a decent price, given how expensive new ones are.

Ultimately, it comes down to how well your boat suits your needs now, an in the future to determine what you should do.

FWIW - i'm in a 2003 330, with 225's and plan to repower in next year or two. Can't fathom going through the buy sell process again, and have to relearn a new boat. After 5 years, I'm just starting to be comfortable will all the systems and nuances of this one.

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Kirk,

Thanks for the response. Maybe I just needed to bounce the concept off other boat owners. I love this boat and it serves all the needs I currently have. The walkaround is great on the Marlin. I'm sure I'd miss that with an express.

My engines are fine and just starting to break in. They have served me well. Just curious about "how much you get" for existing engines when you repower.

I'm looking into new electronics and 10k is about how much I want to spend. Most of my navigation & fishing is in the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. I do take my boat to Oregon Inlet once a year for a week to fish. I'm sure upgraded electronics would help me there.

Thanks again for your response & insight.

Chris

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I'm understanding the question correctly... you're asking if you should sell the boat as is, repower the boat and then sell, or just keep the boat that you've currently got and upgrade the electronics on it? I couldn't tell you about upgrading to a larger boat as I've only got a 228 Seafarer and I don't intend on "upgrading" anytime soon but I do have a little bit of insight on upgrades. I think that the best or smartest idea would be to upgrade the electronics on your boat regardless as it sounds as though you want to do that if you keep the boat or sell it? Upgrading the electronics will do nothing but increase the value of the boat in my opinion and compared to a repower, you're spending considerably less to do an upgrade that I think will only be beneficial with whatever you ultimately decide on doing. With regards to a repower, I think that's going to come down to a few things like how much money you have into the boat, how long it would take to get the repower done and ultimately how much it'll cost. On top of that, I think you'll have a harder time making the money back that you put into the repower, especially when compared to boats being listed with original or older motors. There are a couple of boats right now that are similar to your vintage of boat on Boat Trader that have what appear to be original, or close to the original vintage of motors that are in the mid $50k-60k price range. Comparatively, there's a 2002 in Maryland with a newer repower of twin 300's Suzuki's but it's only $105k. My concern would be that you'd spend $50k-60k or maybe even more on a repower and then not break even. Or if you did break even, is it worth the hassle and rolling the dice just to break even? In my opinion, no it isn't. Neither of these boats appear to have a trailer, so in theory you'd likely get some more money if you did sell yours, since it does come with a trailer. But I'd honestly just watch similar boats to yours and see if they actually sell or not, and comparatively I'd watch boats that are a similar vintage to yours but that have a repower and also watch to see if they sell, and for what asking price. If you see the one listed in Maryland still on there in the next couple of weeks or longer, then I think you've got your answer. The summertime is typically the best market for a seller and if you've got boats that aren't selling in a week or so, then they're likely being listed for too much money or people just aren't interested in them.

Last edited:

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Plenty of life left in those motors- Upgrade the electronics and go fishing! Good luck
Ford,

Thanks for the input. I just needed some reassurance from the Grady community.

Thank you

colpaw

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If I'm understanding the question correctly... you're asking if you should sell the boat as is, repower the boat and then sell, or just keep the boat that you've currently got and upgrade the electronics on it? I couldn't tell you about upgrading to a larger boat as I've only got a 228 Seafarer and I don't intend on "upgrading" anytime soon but I do have a little bit of insight on upgrades. I think that the best or smartest idea would be to upgrade the electronics on your boat regardless as it sounds as though you want to do that if you keep the boat or sell it? Upgrading the electronics will do nothing but increase the value of the boat in my opinion and compared to a repower, you're spending considerably less to do an upgrade that I think will only be beneficial with whatever you ultimately decide on doing. With regards to a repower, I think that's going to come down to a few things like how much money you have into the boat, how long it would take to get the repower done and ultimately how much it'll cost. On top of that, I think you'll have a harder time making the money back that you put into the repower, especially when compared to boats being listed with original or older motors. There are a couple of boats right now that are similar to your vintage of boat on Boat Trader that have what appear to be original, or close to the original vintage of motors that are in the mid $50k-60k price range. Comparatively, there's a 2002 in Maryland with a newer repower of twin 300's Suzuki's but it's only $105k. My concern would be that you'd spend $50k-60k or maybe even more on a repower and then not break even. Or if you did break even, is it worth the hassle and rolling the dice just to break even? In my opinion, no it isn't. Neither of these boats appear to have a trailer, so in theory you'd likely get some more money if you did sell yours, since it does come with a trailer. But I'd honestly just watch similar boats to yours and see if they actually sell or not, and comparatively I'd watch boats that are a similar vintage to yours but that have a repower and also watch to see if they sell, and for what asking price. If you see the one listed in Maryland still on there in the next couple of weeks or longer, then I think you've got your answer. The summertime is typically the best market for a seller and if you've got boats that aren't selling in a week or so, then they're likely being listed for too much money or people just aren't interested in them.

Mustang,

Thanks for the response & input. I think I needed others ideas and "accounting" to make things clearer. I love the boat & I've had some great times on it. Every time I've done repairs or pumped money into she's responded well! I think that's the route I'll follow. I seem to think that a newer/other boat require the same maintenance and ongoing repairs. But that is not the case.

Thanks again!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The only change that I see as an advantage is putting new 250s. 200s seem a bit small for a 30'.
You will get good money for good motors and that will offset the cost of new.
Best time is to get new motors on in March/April so you launch right away and people buying motors can get their boat going too.

Its a 2002 so you may have fuel tanks in your future.
PLEASE replace the scupper hoses.

Bigger motors, New dash, Flat screens, doppler radar "New" boat for less...

Reactions: colpaw

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
its always a risk buying a used boat. i am going to have to put alot of work into my boat that i didnt want or plan to (not found during survey). if the boat has been good to you, that goes a long way.

on the marlin vs express, it will be a lot easier to dock the marlin by yourself if you ever do solo trips.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
its always a risk buying a used boat. i am going to have to put alot of work into my boat that i didnt want or plan to (not found during survey). if the boat has been good to you, that goes a long way.

on the marlin vs express, it will be a lot easier to dock the marlin by yourself if you ever do solo trips.

Why would a marlin be a lot easier to dock then an express? they are essentially the same boat. I single hand dock my express all the time. Maybe if it was a 360, but a 305 is easy to run solo.

Honestly there isn't much difference between the marlin and the 305 express. That being said the 305 is going to be a much more modern boat compared to your 2002. Grady made the 305 from 2007-2014 and incorporated more modern ideas compared to what they did in 2002. The fit and finish also improved as well as construction techniques(less wood). I previously had a 2002 265 and surveyed a couple of marlins before I bought my current 305. The 305 will have a hinged deck panel vs having to unscrew the deck panel to access the bilge. It will have room for large electronic screens. the wiring, plumbing etc. will be labeled and be neater and cleaner. If your not looking to upgrade size wise, given the price of newer boats you may want to just think of refreshing your boat with new power, fuel system, and electronics.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Why would a marlin be a lot easier to dock then an express? they are essentially the same boat. I single hand dock my express all the time. Maybe if it was a 360, but a 305 is easy to run solo.
not easier to dock, easier to dock alone.

the marlin is much easier and safer to walk around to the front to do dock lines and get back to the helm quickly. with the variables of dock layout/configuration, weather and current conditions, you dont always have the ideal docking situation and may need to use a bow line as a pivot point while using the motors.

obviously it can be done with the express, often with no issue. but if the dock is to exposed wind and/or current and doesnt have a lot of room, the walk around is nice. not everyone has a big slip with tons of room across it on sunny days with no wind or current.

this may not be an issue or factor for the OP, but depending on where and when he uses his boat, it may be a consideration

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Once you get used to using the twins to dock in control, there is really no need to "run" up to the bow. I dock my express solo in a crazy current all the time. Even a very strong crosswind is manageable when you plan ahead.
Often I'm getting on the dock and walking up to the bow and getting back on to finish tying up
There was learning curve though... :rolleyes:

Reactions: drbatts

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have docked a 265 and a 305 solo in pretty much every slip configuration with both wind and current . This includes both very wide and also very tight transient slips. I cannot think of a single specific time I needed to run up to the bow for anything docking related. I have a bow line that gets wrapped around a hardtop leg, that I can jump off with or hand to someone on the dock. I see the benefits of a walkaround for certain things, but for solo docking a twin engine boat it honestly doesn't make a difference.