Should it trim this far down?

buguy

Reaction score
I am a fairly new owner to this (really to big boating in general) and I have wondered if there is any reason this needs to trim this far down?

seasick

Reaction score
buguy said:
I am a fairly new owner to this (really to big boating in general) and I have wondered if there is any reason this needs to trim this far down?
It doesn't really mater. You will use whatever trim angle works for your conditions. The endpoint trim angle is a function of the bracket mounting surface angle and as the photo shows, that angle is less than perpendicular to the keel line ( negative angle)
One good thing is that during winter storage, you can be pretty certain that all water in the LU drains out!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
one thing you should be aware of. when backing, the motors trimmed that far down will vector the screw current up against your hull. if you trim them level, you will notice a substantial increase in control. good luck, ron

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some folks trim all the way in like that for trailering. The purpose is to keep the load off of the hydraulic rams of the tilt and trim mechanism. You can accomplish the same thing with the engines trimmed out more for better road clearance by bracing them with a 2x4 or using a MyWedge on the rams.

You would never run the boat with the engines trimmed that far in.

buguy

Reaction score
I guess the reason I ask is many times when I plan to take off to get on plane quickly i trim them all the way down. So I was thinking of moving the stopper up if they had no purpose being that far down. That way I'm not searching for the best place to have it on takeoff. My trim gauges aren't working either by the way. I hope to fix them, but in won't replace them if they don't work. In this situation is the only time I would really use a gauge.
Also I'm in Daytona beach. Wont be much sitting for winter here.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No reason to mess with it.....you can trim them all the way down (in) to get the stern up and get you on plane quicker. Once you are up you would trim them out anyway.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it helps to get on plane by having it tucked in that far, leave it alone. But either way, I don't think I would mechanically limit it - there could be a time (big load in the aft) that you would want the extra stern lift to get on plane. The only problem I see is that there's a possibility you may not be able to get enough positive trim to get your best speed. It's possible that you might exceed the trim limit and enter the "tilt" range. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the tilt hydraulic ram is not meant for high speed (lot's of torque/load) operation?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
People have given sound advice here. I say don't limit it. Your gauges may be fine. It is likely the sending unit in the bracket that is the issue. It could be stuck and all you need is some lube on it or it could be bad or corroded out? Start there.

Ah, Daytona Beach...my old quasi stomping ground. Enjoy the Grady and when going out of Ponce keep to the left. Also, Disappearing Island is really shoally ...be watchful especially at low tide. Just my two cents of unsolicited navigation wisdom. Lol

Finest Kind

Reaction score
No problem at all. When running start at that fully down position to get up on plane quickly, then just trim it up a bit at a time until the props begin to cavitate. Then trim them back down a bit and you are at your sweet spot for maximum efficiency and best mileage for the sea conditions you are in.

That negative trim angle is actually GOOD to have when you are caught in rough seas on your nose. Trim it all the way down like that, AND use your trim tabs to get the bow down to cut through the chop for a smoother ride and less pounding.
Of course, your gas mileage will suffer, but your back will thank you for it....

buguy

Reaction score
OK I will leave it as is. I haven't been offshore yet and I hadn't thought of using it to force the nose down.
And thanks for the tip on the inlet. Last time (first time) out at the jetty I got myself into trouble with shallow water and huge rollers!

buguy

Reaction score
Well shes getting cleaner by the day. Ive done A LOT of work to this thing to get it sea worthy. My daughter spends lots of time shining up stainless too! Finally got one side wet sanded and buffed a couple days ago. Made a huge difference! Found a couple loose bracket bolts the other night, so tomorrow night I am going to pull them one by one to reseal them and tighten eveything up. Surely I was taking on small amounts of water where the loose ones are. Saturday she goes out on her first ocean voyage with me. And my first time on the ocean ever. Probably just going to peek out and maybe a short run up the coast and back.
I think I have a few pics I could share.
The day I brought it home

Not sure why I took this

First fishing trip and my daughters first shark

Yeah im into my Grady!

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
The pics look fine to me, the smiles on your wife and daughter in the fourth picture tell me you and the family will be spending many happy days together on the water.
Congrats on your new Grady.

buguy

Reaction score
Well......the kid for sure!
The wife is on the fence so far, but that's my own fault. Never having a big boat, nor in the intercoastal with the current, tide, and normally high wind, with sketchy engines has made for stressful outings. New fuel lines, fuel/water seperators, sea foam, and getting these 2 stroke carbbed engines idled up a bit should help a lot. I will find out in the morning!

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Really gorgeous boat, looks great without any bottom paint. Best of luck with her!

One thing I noticed on your pic tho...an old Salt once told me a long time ago when I first got into boating..
"running around with your fenders hanging off the sides is like walking around with your fly open".

Pull them in and stow them away when you leave the dock next time :)

buguy

Reaction score
Agreed. I forgot they were out. Shortly after the pic I heard them flopping around and my daughter pulled them in for me. Noob mistake! I always either forget to put my antenna up or back down too! Picked up some nice Spanish moss from the trees last time heading home with her.
And yes, I love that it doesn't have bottom paint. I am a custom car painter, so after about a year of ownership I plan to paint the whole thing. Doesn't look like much fun on that much boat though!