Should this be like this?

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I've owned my boat (2001, 192) for 4/5 years and it's run like a top. The other day I noticed that somebody at some point blocked the vent with silicon (on the bow next to the gas cap). I'm presuming this vent should not have been blocked and I don't know why it was or when it was done but I never noticed it before. On one hand the boat runs beautifully so I'm inclined to just leave it alone (leave it blocked), but on the other hand it just doesn't seem right. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?aQUmp0eBTsSnI91YqPWu5A.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't think its a vent. Looks like someone has used a clamshell wire cover to cover over an old wire run. Maybe an old VHF cable run. The residual silicone in the shape of a circle and the 3 random screws around it makes me think it was this.

Shakespeare-4184.jpg

Reactions: MashpeeMan

Greyduk

Reaction score
I would say that it wouldn't have anything to do with the fuel vent. In that location, the water splashing up there would go right to the tank if it were there as a fuel vent. Just guessing it looks as if it might have been a hole for something electrical to pass through, like a GPS puck, horn, etc. It was probably plugged up to prevent water from draining through it to what ever is below. Unless it is bothering you cosmetically I don't think there is a big reason to change it.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As others have said, that's not a fuel vent. That's for a previous antenna - likely GPS puck.

A fuel vent would vent overboard, not back into the boat.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you all... Don't know why I never noticed it before but it had me scratching my head this past weekend. Again much appreciated.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
Yep not a vent my 192 has the gas vent on the side of the boat just below and aft of the gas cap

Funny thing is my (2001... maybe they moved it) doesn't appear to have that vent in that location. Strange. I'll take a closer look when I'm at the boat this weekend.8oWRuf+GSYemI0+peM23nw.jpg