Show me your custom baitwell

Lug Man

Reaction score
Newbie here. :noob
I've been restoring a 1988 228G seafarer WAC with single 200HP outboard.
I really want a bigger bait well, and would like to modify the transom well to be a general storage area
that is easily removed to access the bilge. If you have pictures of this type of mod, please share your ideas,
trials, and tribulations so I can figure out how to carry more live bait to the blue waters of NE Florida.

Thanks all!
and FISH ON!

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
You could always go with a "west coast" style bait tank from Offshore Products (http://www.offshoreproducts.com/), Pacific Edge (http://www.pacificedgetackle.com/category.aspx?categoryID=40), Kodiak (http://www.kodiakmarine.com/)

I have a Kodiak PF32 in my 208, which is functional but not the prettiest tank in the world. The fiberglass tanks are very nice, and the manufacturers have ones that match the Grady gelcoat. You can kind of see it in this photo:

BaitTankDorado.jpg

Here are a few more photos of installations I found doing a Google search. Maybe they'll give you some ideas...

187316d1269285783-2004-grady-white-228-just-reduced-without-oceanside-slip-pict0995.jpg

grady05.jpg

BasicInfoSize-Center-Console-Other-123886-Bait-tank.jpg

30972d1142041987-bait-tank-picture-003.jpg

Lug Man

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

If I decide to go with a baitwell in the middle of the deck, I will have to figure out a better fish box solution.
Right now I use a LARGE cooler for a fishbox, since I don't have one in the floor.

What are you using for a fish box on your boat>?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I use the under step live well and storage areas on either side of the cuddy. If it's a good day and those get full, then a large cooler on the cuddy floor gets filled, but that doesn't happen as often as I'd like! I found a cooler that fits on the floor perfectly with the center cushions removed.

The live well works as a nice place to bleed the fish out since I can pump water through it. Some of the other guys I fish with use insulated kill bags either strapped on the swimstep or to a gunwale.

Lug Man

Reaction score
I was reading on greatgrady that those boxes have raw fiberglass exposed on the underside of the top of the box. I haven't poked my head in there, but some say it get fishy smelling so bad that they can't get it out. Do you have this problem?
Last trip out, I put two bags of ice and all my drinks in the box under the pilot. It's the biggest box. We were out for about 6 hours and all the ice melted.
How about you? I do like the idea of that box being a fish box as it has a drain and it's pretty roomy.

Thanks again for the good info.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I've never had that problem. From what I recall, the underside of the boxes are not gelcoated but there are no exposed fibers. Occasionally I'll take a spray bottle of bleach water and spray around inside there (and in the bilges), mainly to take care of any mildew.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Cut down barrell, custom Starboard top by Marine Plastic Innovations. Works for me ... :wink:

232323232%7Ffp6355%3B%3Enu%3D4933%3E263%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D344693%3C769343nu0mrj

Lug Man

Reaction score
thanks for the pic, Curmudgeon.

I'm trying to decide if I want mine up against the old tank, all the way back like yours. The option is to mount it mid deck and leave
space for a medium size cooler between the new baitwell and old bait well.
This will push more weight forward.
Can you give me some specs on your boat size, power, and how she rides with a full crew and bait, etc?

I ask because my 1988 seafarer 22 seems a little a$$ heavy when fully loaded. I push it with a 200hp yamaha 2stroke.

thanks

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
1986 Tournament 225G w 225 Honda, forward main tank, no reserve tank . As would be expected, she comes up sluggish with full fuel, full crew, and full bait well (about 200#), but planes out nicely, responds well to motor trim and tabs, and still tops out at a usual 45 mph if I want to push it. 4200 gets 29-31, depending on load.

I would think mid-floor would present plumbing challenges, and I like an uncluttered floor so I went with what you see. I mounted a ball valve on a bilge bulkhead just under a side hatch so as to by-pass the Grady plastic Y-valve. Works great when switching back and forth between baitwell and wash down.

The 228s I ridden on with 200s did seem a little sluggish ...

andrew

Reaction score
hey - related to this, consider an offset tank if it'll work for you. I like the large open space it permits on my grady. I installed a 29gal tank just aft of the helm seat in my Tourney 19. I installed the intake line on portside transom and ran hoses thru the bilge and along, under the sides. I installed the exit line to the starboard quarter aft. If you consider a bank tank install off-center as I've done, consider a counterbalance to offset the weight. I did this by transferring my 2 batteries to a new base that I installed under the port helm. The result is a good sized tank, that's out of the way of fishing, that'll keep 2 dozen big menhaden alive all day, even when running hard offshore.

Just a thought.

Andrew
Raleigh/Beaufort NC