Shower sump pump ?'s

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Good Morning, Does anyone have any info on the sump pump for the shower in a 01' 282 Sailfish. I was flushing and refilling my freshwater system this weekend and the shower sump did not work. Just wondering if anyone had some experience with this system. Thanks

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine quit working last year. I have a 33 express but I bet the pump set up is the same. The pump sits in in a plastic box and is screwed down into sleeves in the box. I took the old pump out, went to west marine and found a pump with the same mounting screw locations and the swap mout was pretty easy. Mine would trip the breaker, so I knew it was the pump. I would check and make sure you are getting power to the pump. There is also a float switch that can go bad.

Good Luck

sluggoe

Reaction score
i am assuming that there is enough water in the box so that the pump comes on automatically when batteries are "on";
if i remember correctly, in my 02 sailfish, sump pump won't come on unless the box is filled with enough water to trip the pump and batt switches are on....don't think there is a "switch" to throw;
--slugg.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I'm not aware of a switch to turn on. Theres no mention of one in my manual. W ROBINSON is correct on the set-up. I took a gallon of freshwater and put a small amount of soap in it , then I poured it down the drain in the floor of the head. I checked the thru hull on the starboard side for discharge but there was none. A gallon of water should be enough to activate the float switch. I don't want to put alot of water in the box and then not be able to get it out. Thanks for the replies , some more elbow grease to be applied later.....

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
a gallon might not be enough. however, is the freshwater switch on when you do this? they might be both wired together. ron

ahill

Reaction score
On my '98 272 it is under the cabin floor.
Mine didn't work due to a corroded butt connection.
Mine also leaked where the drain hose from the shower entered the sump. Fixed that with silicone.
The float has a very short functional range. Comes on late quits before emptying the sump.
My AC condensate drains into the sump. I've had to close the galley sink drain stopper to eliminate drain noise from the sump pump activating.
PITA

Hoghunter

Reaction score
A gallon of water is way more than enough to activate the sump pump. Look at your DC panel. In my 305 there's a breaker for the shower sump. When turned on the float should activate the pump when water enters. If not then check power to the float etc. You can also lift the float to test if it activates.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll check all that when I'm on the boat again.

eppem

Reaction score
Check what above said, especially the connections and the float, but also the drain hose into the actual sump. It "attaches" literally to a plastic nipple/fitting. Ours broke off so water was not going into the sump but rather directly into the bildge.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Went into the way-back machine looking to find info but came up blank...

I need to replace this sump so we can use the shower. The GW Part Number is 11-414. Does anybody have a suitable cross-reference to a currently sold sump, OR, an old 11-414 sitting around?

Meanwhile

Reaction score
The one in mine is a small pump, I think a 500 size. I'll look tomorrow. I don't know if that was stock.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is no switch for the sump in the Sailfish. You can reach the float by reaching into the floor hatch in front of the cabin sink This will at least point you in the right direction for troubleshooting if the pump does not turn on.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Went into the way-back machine looking to find info but came up blank...

I need to replace this sump so we can use the shower. The GW Part Number is 11-414. Does anybody have a suitable cross-reference to a currently sold sump, OR, an old 11-414 sitting around?
As mentioned, first test things - it's more common for the wiring to get corroded/failed or the float switch to go wonky than for the pump to go bad (and don't forget checking the fuse). But, assuming you've already done this since you're asking about a pump replacement, any commonly available bilge pump will work - 500GPH to 750GPH is plenty. You probably can't go bigger than that, anyways, as the output nipple will increase in size.

BUT... the easiest thing would be if you can find a direct replacement as sometimes the motor unit can be disconnected from the base/holder by "unclicking". Go put your eyes on what you have - the make/model - and look for that.

Fishtales

Reaction score
its a little rule pump with a float switch in the sump box. There is a little roller strainer thing that collects any hair or … from the shower pan.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
I guess I should have elaborated a little more. One of the hose barbs is broke off and the lid is missing. I need the sump box.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, yeah, that's a totally different scenario! Try "rule shower drain box". Whale and Johnson are couple other manufacturer's you could look at. Rule is probably the most commonly used (in lot's of brands of boats), though.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
does anybody know what model shower simp pump a 96 272 sailfish has I want to do winter service on it

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
does anybody know what model shower simp pump a 96 272 sailfish has I want to do winter service on it
What kind of "winter" service are talking about? When I hear the word "service", it sounds like maintenance to me. The only thing to do is to clean it out - and the model you have won't matter for that.

If, however, something is wrong and you're replacing... best thing to do is look for yourself as it would only be guessing as to what is in there - 25 years old... could be just about anything by now. But, in the end... a pump is a pump is a pump - just replace it with something similar - the pump's markings will tell you the answer.

Joe arrigo

Reaction score
For the winter I pumped it out and put some antifreeze in the toilet bowl and flushed it . Correct!!