shrink rap or not

against the wind

Reaction score
HELLO ALL was just wondering is it nessasary to shrink rap or tarp a boat for the winter.. i LIVE IN NEW YORK and winters are not that bad.. Can i leave it open for the winter.. thanks

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There are a few boats in my marina that stay in the water all year and they are not covered and they don't seem to incur any damage. I cover mine every year with shrink and when I take the cover off it looks just like when put it way. Besides keeping it clean It aslo keeps liquids from rain and snow from freezing above and below the deck.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's totally your call. If you like to keep your boat clean and protected, then wrap it. If you're not too concerned about it then don't worry about it. Some people leave their boats out year round (especially in warm climates), but expect to spend more time cleaning, waxing, protecting, etc. Gelcoat will oxidize quicker, vinyl will deteriorate faster, etc, etc. But again, it really comes down to your preferences.

seasick

Reaction score
Legend said:
There are a few boats in my marina that stay in the water all year and they are not covered and they don't seem to incur any damage. I cover mine every year with shrink and when I take the cover off it looks just like when put it way. Besides keeping it clean It aslo keeps liquids from rain and snow from freezing above and below the deck.

A few seasons back, we had a boat sink due to snow. It wasn't covered and it accumulated snow melted and turned to ice. This happened a couple of days. The owner wasn't around and as the ice built up
the hull sat deeper into the water and at a slant. It got lower and lower and one night during some swells, water entered the exhaust ports. That was it!
You may not realize how heavy the ice can be

against the wind

Reaction score
I mean i pull my boat out of the water for winter, and im not worried about cleaning in the spring. do u think by not coving it could hurt the gel coat or crack it

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The cold won't affect the gelcoat. Don't touch the vinyl, though - that can get hard and crack.

But a good point was brought up about ice thawing and re-freezing. Depending on where that happens (cracks/crevices, scupper hoses, etc), that could cause a problem.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Water does penetrate gel coat, usually through cracks, penetrations etc. as that water freezes and thaws it will eventually delaminate layup away from core materials. If its a nice boat you would like to own for many years I would cover it.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
ATW, I've got to wonder how many years you've lived in NY. I live along the Jersey shore and our area (yours and mine) see a couple of years that are mild winters then bamm! we get pounded. We've had winters with back to back heavy snow falls. Heavy snow crushes and ice causes damage by lifting decks and crushing as well. I've had a boat damage by ice lifting the deck. You don't want that. Save yourself a headache and cover that boat.
If you tarp it you want to construct a tent frame to bring its peak high and sharp enough to shed the snow so that it doesn't crush down. I've tarped my boat in the past and its a royal P.I.T.A. If you don't get it right you have to go out to brush the snow off every other hour as the snow falls.
If you have your boat parked away from your home get it shrink wrapped. The snow slides off and though its expensive I'm sure it doesn't compare to the investment you have in your boat.
The last couple years I've stored my boat in a friends polebarn, safe and dry. It took a load of worry off my mind and I was even able to get restoration work done while the weather did its thing outside.
This year the plan is to get it under a Carolina Carport on my property. That's the plan, though I haven't seen it yet, :evil: put my order and money down 10 weeks ago.
They make a great carport, probably the best but as for installation out of state, well... :roll:
Wish me luck
Ok . back to you :oops:
ATW. bite the bullet, get the shrink wrap! Sure it'll hurt your wallet now but its cheaper that the damage it'll save you.
Mike.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FYI, contrary to popular belief, shrinkwrap can be re-used. To some extent, this depends on the quality of the shrink wrap to begin with, but if you're smart about how you cut it off, you can use it again the next year. Sometimes you need to add an extra support or maybe some more strapping, but that's easy. It will look like the skin of a 90-year old sailor instead of a newborn baby, but still functional.

GW96

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
ATW, I've got to wonder how many years you've lived in NY. I live along the Jersey shore and our area (yours and mine) see a couple of years that are mild winters then bamm! we get pounded. We've had winters with back to back heavy snow falls. Heavy snow crushes and ice causes damage by lifting decks and crushing as well. I've had a boat damage by ice lifting the deck. You don't want that. Save yourself a headache and cover that boat.
If you tarp it you want to construct a tent frame to bring its peak high and sharp enough to shed the snow so that it doesn't crush down. I've tarped my boat in the past and its a royal P.I.T.A. If you don't get it right you have to go out to brush the snow off every other hour as the snow falls.
If you have your boat parked away from your home get it shrink wrapped. The snow slides off and though its expensive I'm sure it doesn't compare to the investment you have in your boat.
The last couple years I've stored my boat in a friends polebarn, safe and dry. It took a load of worry off my mind and I was even able to get restoration work done while the weather did its thing outside.
This year the plan is to get it under a Carolina Carport on my property. That's the plan, though I haven't seen it yet, :evil: put my order and money down 10 weeks ago.
They make a great carport, probably the best but as for installation out of state, well... :roll:
Wish me luck
Ok . back to you :oops:
ATW. bite the bullet, get the shrink wrap! Sure it'll hurt your wallet now but its cheaper that the damage it'll save you.
Mike.

100% agree. I'm in NY too (LI) and just the icing and thawing of water and/or snow on the deck, gunwales, ect.., can eventually cause issues. Even if it's below freezing outside, the sun blaring down on it will cause the melting and re-freezing. I've seen decks lifted too, but more so have seen cracks open up or inspection plates warp or crack.

It's not worth it. Shrink wrap is worth every penny. The boat is protected and you don't have to worry about it. Plus you can leave your cabin and all hatches/bilge open for air to move around all winter, instead of having everything closed up. I will be doing mine next week.

against the wind

Reaction score
thank u guys I guess your right my boat is in very nice shape and im not cheap, but shirk rap cost so much about 300 bucks just wanted to save alittle..... but you all make a very good point and it will be well taken... got to go for the extra bucks. do you know anyone that would come to staten island thanks a bunch

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
an alternative to shrink wrapping would be a fitted boat cover. I have been using one for the past 7 years, paid for itself after 2 seasons. Its starting to look a little worn now but its going back on in a week or so. I'm in CT and it has held up to the weather fine, and is more breathable then shrink wrap too.

seasick

Reaction score
drbatts said:
an alternative to shrink wrapping would be a fitted boat cover. I have been using one for the past 7 years, paid for itself after 2 seasons. Its starting to look a little worn now but its going back on in a week or so. I'm in CT and it has held up to the weather fine, and is more breathable then shrink wrap too.
I like covers but a lot depends on how it sheds snow. Some vessels are better suited for covers than others. If the snow or water pools anywhere, ice will form. As mentioned, even in sub-freezing temps, the snow will turn to water and refreeze below the surface. I have seen and experienced the collapse of a boat cover due to icing.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
seasick said:
drbatts said:
I like covers but a lot depends on how it sheds snow. Some vessels are better suited for covers than others. If the snow or water pools anywhere, ice will form. As mentioned, even in sub-freezing temps, the snow will turn to water and refreeze below the surface. I have seen and experienced the collapse of a boat cover due to icing.
Now I agree 100%!
A fitted cover will keep it clean year round but when it comes to winter weather, It's all about shedding that snow! Snow weight will destroy the cover and most likely damage the boat. Shrink wrap is the way to go if you can't get it under a roof.
I'm in the process of spending $4,000.00 for a big metal carport to shelter my boat and camper because going out and brushing snow is that much of a pain in the a$$!
Mike

GW96

Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
seasick said:
drbatts said:
Now I agree 100%!
A fitted cover will keep it clean year round but when it comes to winter weather, It's all about shedding that snow! Snow weight will destroy the cover and most likely damage the boat. Shrink wrap is the way to go if you can't get it under a roof.
I'm in the process of spending $4,000.00 for a big metal carport to shelter my boat and camper because going out and brushing snow is that much of a pain in the a$$!
Mike

I agree, I have seen nothing yet that, other than shrink wrap, that has been able to deal with an 18-24" snowfall without a problem. I was looking into buying a fitted/custom winter cover, for my 272 Sailfish it would be around $2200 and they say it is good for 8-10 years. My boat costs $300 to shrink wrap, so it would take about 8yrs for the cover to pay for itself.....right when I would need to buy another one...not worth it, plus you have to include the hassle of putting it on yourself, storing in the summer and I still doubt it would do as good a job, under a heavy wet snowfall, as shrink wrap.

Lt. Mike, it will take you 18 years to break even on that $4K carport, although I guess if you use it for your camper as well, you'll get your money's worth, plus keeping them both out of the sun in summer is an added bonus.

RJTFD

Reaction score
I used to shrink wrap my Grady every year and in spring I would cut wrap off and throw it in container. Friend use to cut wrap off and store it and reuse it at least another season or 2. Then I went the large tarp and frame. It wasn't bad but every once in a while I would have to adjust tarp and ties. Now boat I have now I have a fisher cover that I bought used. If I ever need another cover I would invest in another one. It is worth every penny. I can cover my boat in about 20 minutes all by myself and never have to do a thing no matter how much snow or wind there is. As far as storage I can fold it up pretty tight and keep in my garage or Fisher offers storage for minimal amount which I did last year cause they go over entire cover and repair if needed. They picked cover up at my house and re delivered in fall when I was ready to cover again. Look up the screen name "coverguy" he sells used covers. Good luck

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That money spent on the carport will pay dividends from day one!
I'd say that 90% of what causes a camper, boat, and the like to go to cr*p is caused by improper storage not from use.
No more rain, snow, ice, acorns, branches, leaves, sun or dirt.
There is nothing better than clean dry storage under a roof with full sides. When I wax it and clean it it will get dirty from use, not storage.
The aging process will slow considerably for both camper and boat(& trailer).
Money well spent!
Mike

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We have a 33 Express in mid atlantic and i have it shrink wrapped every year to protect it from sun and ice. I don't want water getting into crevices, freezing and cracking. I tried to get a cover from BoatCovers Direct but they don't have one that fits. Had one for my 27 sailfish and it was great.

If you have it wrapped, make sure they add some vents and use the hanging moisture bags and remove everything from the boat. I also do all my waxing before so it is ready to go in spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,153

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I bought my cover from coversdirect on a recommendation by a site member. It is just their standard walkaround cover for a boat of my length. Its not a perfect fit but close enough. I have to run a support from my hardtop forward to the pulpit. I save the boards and it takes me very little time to put it up and take it down. I Have yet to run into any snow or precipitation not running off the cover. We have had some heavy snowfalls here in CT the last few years and the snow falls right off. Since there is some breath ability and airflow I get very little mold compared to when I shrink wrapped the boat. In addition the cover has zippered sides so accessing the boat for winter projects is a breeze compared to the shrink wrap. I do not intend to knock shrinkwrapping, however for my boat the reusable cover has worked very well.

JeffN

Reaction score
For some reason or another I did not cover one winter and won't do that again. Just too wet with snow laying in the boat, why not keep it protected the six months it is in my yard. The short amount of time it takes to assemble my frame and put the tarp on is well worth it. The three hours I spend covering and uncovering I save in cleaning in the spring. I used shrink wrap one year and didn't like it. I use 1 1/2" PVC for a frame and one of the sliver tarps with the black inside. The tarps last several years and are much less expensive than shrink wrap. My boat is stored in my yard so It is not a big deal if I have to adjust my lines. I tie my lines from one side of the tarp under the boat to the other side. A few years back I began putting loops in the lines and tensioning them with bungy cords, I seldom have to adjust now. Usually a couple of weeks in I may have to tighten a line or two. Our snow usually comes with wind and the snow blows off. The cover has taken some heavy wet snow over the years though with no issue. The only time the tarp blew off was when it blew 90+ right on the bow and a line parted and the tarp blew off the boat and ended up on the ground still tied to the stern, no damage. Now the boat sits 90 degrees to the north wind. Have owned the boat almost thirty years so my track record with the tarps is quite good I would say.