Shurhold Dual Pro Polisher

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I only use 3M paste wax on my hull and was wondering if anybody has experience with this polisher removing 3M paste wax and what there experience has been with this tool.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wax removal is easy. Even a cheapie tool can do that. I think you'd be wasting your money by buying that tool for that job.

However, Shurhold is a good company and I wouldn't doubt their DA is a solid tool - but I have never personally used it for compounding/polishing. If you don't want to step up to a full bore rotary tool, then the Porter Cable 7424 is one I can highly recommend. It's a very good, strong DA.

Reactions: CEJ

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the Shurhold and based on my use over two years, it works great. DA is the way to go versus just rotary.

seasick

Reaction score
Which type to use depends on the application to some extent. The DA is a nice tool but if you need to do aggressive compounding, the rotary like the Porter Cable is the tool. You can buy a rotary polisher from Harbor freight for next to nothing and I can say from experience that it works. However, it is heavy and can tire you out quickly. If you go that route, buy really good bonnets, the kind that body shop buy. The cheaper ones yo may see are just not up to snuff.

I do have a question on what you asked about. Usually we apply polish with a machine but remove the haze by hand. You can remove the haze with the DA without really worrying but the rotary cab cause 'burning' of the finish if not used correctly ( as it can also do when applying rubbing or polishing compound)

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have what Dennis has a Porter Cable rotary variable speed random orbital buffer. I don't think brand matters all that much. Check out the chemical guys on the web, I like their Velcro attachment and various cuts of pads. I've cleaned with Collinite 920 and then follow up with 2 coats of Meguairs marine liquid wax for years. I think the combo is the best for ease of on/off, speed and shine. Holds up well and not all the work or paste. To each their own...

seasick

Reaction score
I have what Dennis has a Porter Cable rotary variable speed random orbital buffer. I don't think brand matters all that much. Check out the chemical guys on the web, I like their Velcro attachment and various cuts of pads. I've cleaned with Collinite 920 and then follow up with 2 coats of Meguairs marine liquid wax for years. I think the combo is the best for ease of on/off, speed and shine. Holds up well and not all the work or paste. To each their own...
I suppose that the use of the buffer to remove the haze may depend on the wax used. I do use Colonite cleaner but I use Gary's wax afterwards. I dab it on the hull and then rub it in withe the electric polisher. When it hazes, I remove it by hand with clean soft terry towels.
Do you buff off the Meguires wax with the polisher?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
No just put it on with it. Take it off by hand with a microfiber cloth. I did the paste one year and my dog got loose, by the time I got back to taking the wax off, it nearly killed me. If things are close, I learned to take the easy way... I'm sure the best paste wax is better, but the liquid Meguairs is pretty decent.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Detailed my truck over the weekend with Shurhold DA. Sure hope I get similar results when I do the gelcoat on my 228.
20200106_125919.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul_A