Side Curtains

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hello All....I have an old Offshore with a hardtop and a few years back I had a full enclosure fabricated. The side curtains are entirely Isinglass or whatever he used. It gets very hot in there even with the front open and the back sections rolled up....and I catch a lot of wind which makes it hard to dock sometimes and causes me to drift too fast sometimes while fishing. I am giving them to my guy this weekend to have some zippered windows installed.
Does anybody have any pictures or ideas that will help me decide what they should look like?

Thanks!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How many pieces on each side, and do they not also roll up?
Each side is just one piece and as currently configured they do not roll up. They are anchored in a channel at the top.....snapped at the bottom and zippered to the front and back pieces. It is a giant PITA to remove them. That's why I want to add the windows, which I can un zip and roll up when needed. I was just kind of hoping to see what others with similar boats have done.

This is what I have now.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Maybe I'm missing something and this is a dumb question, but why do you have them up at all times?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think most people store the rear drop curtains during the summer, I know I do. If your side curtain is like the one in the link, you unzip both ends, and roll it up to the track at the top. Hopefully, it has the two straps shown in the picture, and they snap around the roll to hold it in place.
If you have that long canvas tail on the aft end of your side piece, fold it up over the clear, and roll it inside. No matter the shape of your curtain, start and keep your roll parallel to the track at the top.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Maybe I'm missing something and this is a dumb question, but why do you have them up at all times?
Everybody leaves them up when the boat is in the slip and not in use....don't they? In the summer when I am heading out I roll up the 3 back parts.....open up the front window...roll it up and secure it with straps but the side curtains have no straps and are a real beatch to remove and replace.....at least that the way my guy made them. I am going to modify them.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You can have what they call "smiley face" put into your existing side panels. Which basically is a semi-circle cutout that will roll up. My enclosure is up all the time. When it gets out and we want a breeze I just roll those sections ups. Much easier then removing the entire panel.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Add some straps and snaps and roll them up. I unzip the front panels and leave about an inch zipped. Its a pain to get them started again, especially on the starboard side because of the electronics box. 99% of the time that's what I do with mine, unless its sloppy and I know it's going to be a wet ride. Adding windows is going to be a pain. Might even have to remake the sides. Buy the time you cut the glass roll it to seam and sew in canvas, zipper ect. might not be enough to complete. I generally leave the rear panels off all together. Actually, they are home in the basement. Front and sides stay on the boat.

Reactions: Uncle Joe