Side Mount Throttle Control

Class Action

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Just purchased a '99 Tournament 192. The throttle control has seen better days. I was looking to replace it and wanted to see what everyone recommended. This is my first boat and excited to start working on it. Thank you for all your help.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
There's a number of side mount controls out there - Yamaha, Morse/Telefles, etc. All would be fine.

Did you verify the box is bad? Could just be the cables.

Class Action

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
There's a number of side mount controls out there - Yamaha, Morse/Telefles, etc. All would be fine.

Did you verify the box is bad? Could just be the cables.
The cables seemed fine, I did have the boat on the water yesterday. The actually throttle control is cracked, sun faded, and turns your hand black when you grab it haha. I will look more into the Yamaha and Morse controls that you recommended.

seasick

Reaction score
If you opt for a new control, make sure that you get the configuration instructions for it. Since many of these 'universal' controls can be configured for different brands of motors as well as different orientations, setting one up can be complicated since there can be a zillion combinations of what goes where, including what gets wired to what:)
With regard to cables, I think it would be prudent to install new cables when installing a new control box. If the cables are original, absolutely replace them.

Good luck with the project.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The cables seemed fine, I did have the boat on the water yesterday. The actually throttle control is cracked, sun faded, and turns your hand black when you grab it haha. I will look more into the Yamaha and Morse controls that you recommended.
How did you verify the cables are fine?

Some Goo Gone might take care of the black issue.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First boat, I'd be trying to keep it simple, like replace with same. If I had to guess, I would say a Yamaha 704 on that vintage. Does yours look like this?

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I just had my virtually same (2001 192 Tournament) boat repowered with a 140 Tohatusu and I had all of the cables/steering/throttle control replaced. They used a Honda throttle control with the replacement. Whole system works beautifully and I feel like replacing all of that system (forward of the engine) made a big difference in terms of the way the boat performs.