• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 63

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sometimes Taylor Made sells them on eBay.

I ordered mine from George at Marine Glass Specialties in Florida.

(813) 926-3717

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
FYI, if you don't have that T handle connected the window can fall out
That's for sure. I just took delivery of a new-t--me 255 Freedom a week ago. It was transported by a boat hauler, from N.Y. to Delaware. Arrived at 9pm and next day, I notice the starboard window and latch are missing. Previous owner told me "the window latch screws keep coming out". Well I guess he didn't care enough to even put a piece of masking tape across the window, to keep it closed. Probably flipped open during transport, and my window is most likely laying by the side of the road, somewhere between NY and here.

What makes matters worse is the window is no longer available; not from Grady, not from Taylor Industries, and not from Marine Glass Specialties.

Better check those latch screws.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had one break last year, on my 2004 Sailfish and like most models the port and starboard vents are identical. I just took it to a local glass company and they made a template from the opposite side and made a new one. It took about a week bc they had to send it out to one of their suppliers to be cut and drilled.

Reactions: Capt Bill

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I cut my own out of plexi from home depot. Came out great. But if he lost the aluminum "Hinge" he is screwed.
That detachable hinge releases if you open the window past the length of the T handle.

gEsbbg3l.jpg

MqZ7Peql.jpg

Reactions: southernstyle995

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had one break last year, on my 2004 Sailfish and like most models the port and starboard vents are identical. I just took it to a local glass company and they made a template from the opposite side and made a new one. It took about a week bc they had to send it out to one of their suppliers to be cut and drilled.
What is the hinge on these vent windows? I'm concerned that if the hinge is bonded into the channel, removing might ruin it.
on edit:
I also don't know what I'm going to do about the hinge on the missing window. There is nothing in the channel where the window hinge would be. As far as I can tell, it is just an empty U channel.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The hinge is painted aluminum is my understanding. You are lucky if you have the hinge, it cost quite a bit to replace.

I had to purchase a new one a few years ago.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hinge is painted aluminum is my understanding. You are lucky if you have the hinge, it cost quite a bit to replace.

I had to purchase a new one a few years ago.
Do you have the part number for the hinge? I just checked Taylor Made Ind. website, and they do not list a vent window hinge.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The hinge is just channelled aluminum...the opposite of the frame piece. It goes in & comes out by opening the window too far. There was some "liquid neoprene" in mine (maybe PO did that?) so I replicated that.

My mistake was that I used white 5200 to set the plexi in the hinge but I should have used BLACK. You can't see in the pic but from the front you see white thru the glass.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Do you have the part number for the hinge? I just checked Taylor Made Ind. website, and they do not list a vent window hinge.
It is no longer available (part number) because it is "obsolete", but George @ Marine Glass Specialties purchased the remaining footage of that hinge from Taylor Made, so I ordered it from him.

I tried Taylor Made first, and they referred me to him FYI.

He has a special tool that fabricates it was what George told me.

George - Marine Glass Specialties

(813) 926-3717

Reactions: Gravy and SkunkBoat

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What goes bad on these latches? Is it the round cap on the outside of the glass, that breaks down from UV, and then the glass pops off?
For me it was the inside handle....the plastic got brittle and broke when I torqued it.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Okay, thanks. I got my back-up Sea Dog replacements over the week-end, and although I didn't take them out of the package, I can see that the shaft is smooth, and it says that the cap is a press on fit, so I assume a metal clip inside. I think that if I were going to use them, I would add an adhesive to the cap.
If yours broke while torquing it, at least it should have been in a secure position, unless you were in the process of opening it. Doesn't explain how vents fly open, and fall out of the hinge mechanism.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Okay, thanks. I got my back-up Sea Dog replacements over the week-end, and although I didn't take them out of the package, I can see that the shaft is smooth, and it says that the cap is a press on fit, so I assume a metal clip inside. I think that if I were going to use them, I would add an adhesive to the cap.
If yours broke while torquing it, at least it should have been in a secure position, unless you were in the process of opening it. Doesn't explain how vents fly open, and fall out of the hinge mechanism.
Cap is a press on fit....I have not had the window fly open. My boat is an '82.....it had 40 years of UV working on it...AND.....I think I broke it myself by using it incorrectly in the firsyt place.
Just FYI......the screw pattern on the base was not the same as on my Offshore....I could only get one screw in without drilling a new hole but it was more than secure enough.