Side window replacement

EquipMgr

Reaction score
Gentlemen-
1989 252 Sailfish. Anyone have any idea of the trim required to replace this glass? PO had apparently just stuck a piece in there with some type of sealant - didn't hold up to freeway speed! Just a fixed piece is fine....
Thanks.

Attachments

• 0323191122a_HDR_resized.jpg
    0323191122a_HDR_resized.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 38

Fishtales

Reaction score
Check the other pieces of glass. The manufacturer is usually in one of the corners. You could check with Taylor Made Systems. They do a lot of the glass for marine applications including GW I believe.

Greyduk

Reaction score
You might try Marine Glass Specialties. They carry replacement parts for boat windshields.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Try looking on OTHER pieces of the glass - I've never seen a windshield without markings somehwere on it by the manufacturer. But, it may have been Water Bonett - and someone on this site recently pointed out that they may have been purchased by Taylor Made, which brings us back around to Fishtales's suggestion. Did you try contacting Taylor?

However, if you're OK with 'glueing' it in place (the previous owner apparently didn't use the proper stuff), then I would just do that again. Getting the glass cut locally should be easy since it's flat and you can quickly make a template for the shop. Use BoatLife LifeCaulk (in black, of course) and it will be a permanent repair. Lay a1/4" bead around/on the frame where the glass would set and let it tack it up. Then lightly press the glass onto the bead. Wedge the bottom of the glass so it doesn't slide down - tape the top. Let that dry for a good day or two. Then come back with more LifeCaulk and layer it into the channel till you get a nice, smooth appearance around the edge between the glass and the windhsield frame. If you do it right, it will look better than the other pieces! Take your time to avoid a messy cleanup.

Greyduk

Reaction score
Do you only need the glass or are other pieces missing?

EquipMgr

Reaction score
Glass and whatever trim was originally used to hold it! Probably just gonna calk it as described and call it good!

Weldersa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Gentlemen-
1989 252 Sailfish. Anyone have any idea of the trim required to replace this glass? PO had apparently just stuck a piece in there with some type of sealant - didn't hold up to freeway speed! Just a fixed piece is fine....
Thanks.
Gentlemen-
Thanks.
ss
Gentlemen-
Thanks.

I have a Freedom 225 and I need the same window and hardware. I can have the glass fabricated, but I still need the hardware. If you ever find what your looking for, please pass the info on to me. Thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Marine Glass Specialties may be able to help. It's my understanding that Water Bonnet is no more. It looks like you need the hinge piece that the window caulks into.

The glass can be a problem. On mine it was described as "school bus glass" by the local glass shop. It has a plastic laminate inside regular glass. They can cut the glass but the screw hole is close to the edge and drilling it can break the glass. I went ahead and ordered tempered glass from a shop in Washington State - several pieces since the setup was expensive - might as well order a few more for spares.

You could use acrylic or polycarbonate from Home Depot instead.