Sidepower Thruster Malfunction

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was heading out into deep water for a couple of days of fishing. We were about 20 mi out and moving at a good clip, when we smelled an electrical issue. I quickly isolated to the Sidepower thruster. Top was warm and then it started running by itself - nobody touching the joy stick. I moved the joystick and the thruster worked both ways and then the self running issue stopped and so did the burning smell. I disconnected the joystick wires and we fished the entire 2 days without issue. I made the decision to keep the date with the fish, but it was on the back of mind the entire couple of days. Coming into port, I reconnected the joystick and the thruster works fine. I have used it a little over the past 2 weeks, and again all is fine.

When I layup, I plan to open things up and see what happened. If anyone has any info, I'd sure appreciate it. I PMed Tony Sally as he seems to have worked on these in the past.

Thanks,
dr

seabob4

Reaction score
Internal, intermittant short in the motor. Need to find that "little" problem and fix it...NOW! Thrusters draw big time power, not something you want to get a burning smell out of, nor have it run "by itself"... :shock:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Update.

It ended up being the solenoid on the top of the thruster. My dealer indicates they have seen a few of these go, but not to the extent that mine did. It looks like a fairly easy repair, so if anyone has a like problem, they could tackle it themselves.

Tx.