Sideshift bow thruster to a Grady

jbloom

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Has anyone added one of these to a Grady, preferably a smaller model? I am trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and add a bow thruster, most of the quotes are $8k plus. If I add the thruster I am told by Grady that there is a freshwater tank in the spot that I would have to lose or it would be relocated on my 2017 232 Gulfstream. Looking at the Sideshift bow thruster and I wouldn't have to do a lot of labor, and I wouldn't lose the fresh water tank and it's only $3775. I think I can install myself or could pay my marina a little for this easy job. The only thing is it sticks out the front when it's on plane and when it's up on a beach. But I think the pluses outweigh the minuses on this one. Has anyone else look at one of these or install one?

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you would regret that move. Were it me, if I wasn't going whole hog on the thruster, I would rather install a powerful electric motor with spot-lock and auto-deploy. I would get much more use out of it. It can do the side thrust job at the dock/slip or slow-bell inside the marina on a windy day or use it for fishing duties.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I agree with above. If you are going to do a thruster I would do a real one. That looks “Hinkey” and I can see all sorts of damage to it possible. Is your 232 a single screw? A 232 shouldn’t need a thruster if it has twins. Are you at POE? Have you tried raising the canvas “Smilies” prior to entering the marina to reduce windage? A thruster is a big add on a 232 - If you have twins and are struggling I think you could fine someone to help (both at the marina (Capt. Bill) or locally. If you have a single the same holds true but I can understand it can be frustrating as a 232 with a single on a bracket can be a little bit of a chore in strong wind/current. Still, a thruster is an expensive investment. Plenty of folks handle that boat with practice.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you may do better with something like this. https://jetthrusteramerica.com/
don't know anything about this company or the jet thrusters other than they have been working on them for a while now. if you do have twins you should be able to maneuver with solid practice. personally i wouldn't use the type you highlights, but that's me. good luck, ron

jbloom

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a single-engine on my Gulfstream. I get around well most of the time just have some issues when the wind is blowing and the current is moving fast. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the expensive install.
Yes, FYI, I am around POE and know Bill and his staff. I dock my boat at my house, luckily I have a creek in my back that leads to the Peconic.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
looks cheesy, would be concerned about it's effects on the boat ride when its not up out of the water. Pass on this your boat is to nice IMO

Reactions: jbloom

jbloom

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Yamaha makes a Helm master joystick for a single-engine, maybe this would be a better option to try. Does anyone have this on a single?
Is it expensive to install?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yamaha makes a Helm master joystick for a single-engine, maybe this would be a better option to try. Does anyone have this on a single?
Is it expensive to install?

yes. and i'm not sure it would help with close quarter maneuvering on a single.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
you may do better with something like this. https://jetthrusteramerica.com/
don't know anything about this company or the jet thrusters other than they have been working on them for a while now. if you do have twins you should be able to maneuver with solid practice. personally i wouldn't use the type you highlights, but that's me. good luck, ron
I like that product. If I ever decide I need a thruster, the jet thruster thing is something I'd check out.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
The trick on a 232 with a single is to not be afraid to give it throttle in close quarters. Normally it’s best to have a soft touch but to get that boat to spin around and move you need to shift a lot and give it some gas to make it do what you want in the wind (Just watch Bill or Will on any given day). Basically, the joystick will be doing just that if you get one. Expect it to use throttle way more than you are used to (Not a bad thing, but you can do that yourself).

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. I think you'd be unhappy with it and it would look well "stupid". Either bite the bullet and do the tunnel or skip it is my opinion.

jbloom

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I'm going to skip it. I thought it looked god awful so you are all right. It was my first season with the bigger boat, so I think I will just try and learn how to do a better job as a captain. thanks again for everyone's comments.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One tip is to ensure the enclosure is rolled up (aft and sides) when coming in. The enclosure acts as a sail and if windy will cause you some pain... I just got in the habit of always rolling it up (usually is anyway).

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I added a built in bow thruster to my Marlin 300 about 8 years ago. I went to the Miami boat show and their special was $8000 installed. It looks factory. I have loved it and use it frequently. They came to my Marina in Panama City for the install. Company is Florida Bow Thrusters.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did a Vetus bow thruster. Check my posts out on the install. my 268 Islander is hard to handle even in light wind. One of the best improvements I made to my boat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Backing into a slip is much more controlled than bow first. I see people struggle bow first at my dock all the time (we have a crazy current). They assume it would be harder in reverse but in reverse your motor is pulling you. You will go where the motor points. In fwd you are trying to steer the bow that is 23 feet away. I have twins now but I used to have a 20'er with a single at the same marina.
Give it a try if you haven't been doing that. Three guys on my dock changed to backing in after watching me and trying it themselves.

that external bowthruster looked very stupid but that jetthruster looks cool. i used the calculator and it would cost me $8k without the added batteries that I would need...Luckily I have two motors! (that cost $20K each :rolleyes: )