Simrad Go9 eval

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Finally got to put my new Simrad Go9 thru it’s paces today and I’m blown away !
It’s super easy to use and I credit it with putting me on bass today that I wouldn’t have found with my old Faruno.
The transducer was mounted on line with the starboard side chine and though I was worried that the lower unit would block the port side sidescan but it had a clear view.
It also never lost contact with the bottom even at speed. The echo and the down scan made identifying fish arches (Swim bladders) on or near the bottom easy to see. The sidescan is going to take a little practice to recognize what I’m seeing. It was showing interesting things on the bottom in the river though.
Huge, huge improvement over the ancient Faruno.
Very happy with it !

Reactions: Denko

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Here are a couple pics of my transducer placement.
I mounted the unit so it hung slightly below the hull and putting it in line with the chine to keep it in cleaner water.
As I said I wasn’t sure if the lower unit would block the port side sidescan signal but it’s good.
614350CF-C366-4CA1-8DFD-440BA0D69E24.jpeg
7993D22C-BF7F-424F-B585-DD863FC45A91.jpeg
F3D72394-3DD1-460A-A694-0F9161C1AA35.jpeg
5FF95692-04D6-4031-A1EB-94D1183C6E22.jpeg
78EBA04D-7992-47C3-95E9-0A52E6805A6E.jpeg

Willy-C

Reaction score
I put a GO9 on and it is a fine unit.

Couple of things that I don’t care for……I have friends that have the exact unit and whenever on my boat insist on changing the settings to their liking ( :( ). I need to make a splash shield as saltwater flies up on my engine from the t-ducer. And lastly I was playing around with the blue toothy/internet things to connect to my iPhone and I can’t seem to keep my iPhone battery from completely being drained while on the boat, yes I tried to delete it but something is still making my phone search for a connection.

But other than those few things it’s a real nice addition to the dash. Works really well in deep water (300-400 plus) situations. Luv the side scan in shallow water.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I put a GO9 on and it is a fine unit.

Couple of things that I don’t care for……I have friends that have the exact unit and whenever on my boat insist on changing the settings to their liking ( :( ). I need to make a splash shield as saltwater flies up on my engine from the t-ducer. And lastly I was playing around with the blue toothy/internet things to connect to my iPhone and I can’t seem to keep my iPhone battery from completely being drained while on the boat, yes I tried to delete it but something is still making my phone search for a connection.

But other than those few things it’s a real nice addition to the dash. Works really well in deep water (300-400 plus) situations. Luv the side scan in shallow water.
On the iPhone I bought a radio holster from west marine. It’s a white flexible plastic and I mounted it just inside the cabin out of any spray but within reach from the helm. My phone or iPod sits in there and is either plugged into the Kenwood stereo or the a/c port in the cabin. Turning your WiFi off on your phone will also save battery if you don’t have it plugged in.

Willy-C

Reaction score
I do use the iPhone for Navionics on airplane mode usually with no issues, but there is something I need to disconnect from my phone on my Simrad cuz if I’m on someone else’s boat it’s fine.
The connection is pretty cool with the two (iPhone and GO9), you can see the Simrad screen and change it remotely, I just had to satisfy my curiosity. BTDT.
The wireless Wi-Fi is nice if a software update is needed and near a Wi-Fi blue tooth connection.
Most times when I am fishing beyond cell tower range the airplane mode is a must.
I like the holster idea.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I do use the iPhone for Navionics on airplane mode usually with no issues, but there is something I need to disconnect from my phone on my Simrad cuz if I’m on someone else’s boat it’s fine.
The connection is pretty cool with the two (iPhone and GO9), you can see the Simrad screen and change it remotely, I just had to satisfy my curiosity. BTDT.
The wireless Wi-Fi is nice if a software update is needed and near a Wi-Fi blue tooth connection.
Most times when I am fishing beyond cell tower range the airplane mode is a must.
I like the holster idea.
Using the phone as a remote seems silly on a 20’ boat. It’s like car stereos that come with a remote when the stereo is an arms reach away. I do like how it’s supposed to display incoming text messages on the screen. Haven’t tried that feature yet but I’m deaf to my phone most days and forget it if I’m on the boat. I might actually see a text when I get one this way. I’ll try to grab a pic of the holster and it’s placement. That’s one idea that’s worked out well.