Simrad NSS question

seasick

Reaction score
I have a buddy who has a Simrad NS EVO2 plotter with Navionics maps.
The unit is maybe 5 or 6 years old. When the unit is powered up, it reverts to the out of the box configuration (initial config). If you redo your desired config, it works fine until you shut it off. When you turn it back on after a while ( hours, days maybe) all the customization is lost.
Does anyone know if there is some sort of battery that maintains the config? My buddy spoke to Simrad technical support and they weren't clear about whether there is a battery. They said regardless, they would have to send it out to have a determination of the problem and possible fix.

I can't find anything on the internet about any sort of memory maintainer battery of any related issue with config reset.
Thanks for any info.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The old ones had a 3V lithium battery that was soldered in place behind the circuit board. It needs to go back to SIMRAD. They only make them to last 5 years or so.

I don't know about the NSS, but there needs to be powered internal memory to store any configuration information.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a buddy who has a Simrad NS EVO2 plotter with Navionics maps.
The unit is maybe 5 or 6 years old. When the unit is powered up, it reverts to the out of the box configuration (initial config). If you redo your desired config, it works fine until you shut it off. When you turn it back on after a while ( hours, days maybe) all the customization is lost.
Does anyone know if there is some sort of battery that maintains the config? My buddy spoke to Simrad technical support and they weren't clear about whether there is a battery. They said regardless, they would have to send it out to have a determination of the problem and possible fix.

I can't find anything on the internet about any sort of memory maintainer battery of any related issue with config reset.
Thanks for any info.
I have no Simrad experience but just call Simrad Customer Service.

seasick

Reaction score
The funny thing is that my buddy did call Simrad support and they said they don't fix the units but have to send them out. To whom I don't know
Innay case my buddy is calling Simrad support back. I will post any updates.
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
Update from my friend:
Called Simrad again and was told that there is no battery in the unit.
The unit being 5 years old is out of warranty and they do not repair them. he was told to buy a new unit:)
Not such a great endorsement for the product line considering that it ran about $2,000 in 2018.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Manufacturers have moved away from batteries for memory. Switched to NVRAM non-volitle random access memory like flash drive technologies.

Not a good endorsement for Simrad. How long after will they support a product that's been discontinued?

seasick

Reaction score
Manufacturers have moved away from batteries for memory. Switched to NVRAM non-volitle random access memory like flash drive technologies.

Not a good endorsement for Simrad. How long after will they support a product that's been discontinued?
Based on three calls by my friend to Simrad, their position seems to be that if it is out of warranty (in his case that was 2 years) they don't do repairs.
I tried looking up repair sites for Simrad but most of the hits took me to marine equipment suppliers who's sites had no mention of doing repairs.

seasick

Reaction score
Final update.
Here is what I learned and discovered:
The freezing, sluggishness and resetting of the head end unit was caused by a bad Navionics micro SD card. Swapping it for another chip cleared up the issues.
Tha's good because there doesn't seem to be a repair service for the units when out of warranty. My buddy and I could not find any independent repairs services either.
There is no backup battery in the NSS units.

I do not know what went bad on the original chip.

We also tried using one of my Navionics chips from a Lowrance HDS in the Simrad NSS and it worked. The next logical test was to try the original suspect bad chip in the Lowrance. The unit had the same kind of problems, resets, fuzzy maps, unit freezing, etc.

My friend is very happy he doesn't need to buy a new unit!