Single 250hp ox66 compared to t150's...Great Lakes 232 GS

gju42486

Reaction score
first off, i know these two engine configurations have been discussed on here before, but i havnt seen anything recently and was wondering if the difference of oppinions has changed or if new information and feedback is available after running the single 250's for a few years.

I am looking very hard at purchasing a 1995-2000 Grady White Gulfstream to run on Lake Erie. 99% of my fishing is done within 20 miles of shore (one way) and almost every trip is done by trolling, anywhere between 8-12 hours a day. A buddy of mine has an 89 GS with twin 150 mercs (repowered) and i have picked his brain thoroughly about fuel usage/economy ect. He is getting around 2.2MPG while running and while he trolls on one engine (alternating them each trip) he burns roughly 3 gallons an hour. His max speed is somewhere around 45mph give or take.

I am looking at a few GS with the single 250. I have yet to ride on one with this powerplant and dont personally know anyone who runs this single outboard setup. I have talked to a few people online and they claim they are getting roughly 2.5mpg while running. For trolling, i was going to purchase a YAMI T9.9HP kicker engine locally. I feel that i can troll all day with the kicker and burn roughly 5-8 gallons MAX while saving hours on my main engine. With this setup i estimate i will save roughly 10-15 gallons a day. i have heard people running the single 250's are maxing out around 40-42mph at WOT.

Can anyone provide any other insight on the single 250 setup and any advice/feedback on my current thinking. I know that finding a replacement single 250 HP is going to be alot easier than trying to find a twin 150 setup with the same hour history. I feel that the single with the kicker may be the best combo for the type of fishing that i do, but i dont want to regret not getting twins :<><

paulyjsob

Reaction score
Re: Single 250hp ox66 compared to t150's...Great Lakes 232 G

I think you'd be fine with a single 250. We seatrialed a 232 with a 250HP Yamaha OX66 and the motor did fine. We have 4 people on board and about 1/2 tank of gas and it didn't feel like it was struggling to get on plane at all. Owner said it topped out around 43mph. In your case, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a 250/9.9 combo... Especially if you'll be doing lots of trolling.

gju42486

Reaction score

thanks for the reply. Thats what i was thinking, i really like the kicker idea for trolling. The boat i am looking at has a full swim platform and was told that i would have to get a custom bracket made to accomodate the kicker, i havnt looked into this yet but will be doing so shortly if anyone has any insight on that.

As far as kickers go, i think i am going to go with a yamaha t8 or t9.9 ....im leaning towards the 8hp.

dive4fun

Reaction score

Hi, Just seen your question, Maybe I can help..I have a 2000 Gulfstream with a 250hp ox66 motor, running wot with 2 people on board, full tanks of fuel, water, oil at 5300 rpms best I can get is 37mph.... My fuel burn is about 1.3 running 4500rpm 29 to 30mph...Love the boat but If I was to repower I'd go with F300... Won't do that till a major malfuction in motor happens...Like maintaining only one motor..By the way I live on the west coast of Florida and most of my runs offshore are about 60 to 80 miles round trip...I dive most trips so the Gulfstream is loaded with dive tanks and gear, ice..Usually three of us on board....Had the boat almost two years now.. Motor runs flawless.. About 400 hours on her...

gju42486

Reaction score

thanks for the reply dve. my plan was to run only with the one tank (center one between the helm seats) full and leave the other as empty as possible unless needed. I dont ever forsee me burning 90 gallon of fuel in one day no matter what would happen, especially the areas i would be transiting. I run mostly with 4 people on board and dont think my total gear would top 500 pounds (estimate). i was hoping to hit around 40, but cruising at 35 is fine for me.

nevsatII

Reaction score

Hi, I have a 05 Gulfstream with a F250. At wot 6000 rpm I can hit 40 mph, burning roughly 20 gph. I usually cruise at 4700 rpm, hitting 30mph and get anywhere from 2.0 to 2.5 mpg depending on sea conditions and load. Trolling at 2.5 to 3.5 mph
the fuel meter reads around 1.8 mpg. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Jim