Single versus double engine settup on Gulfstream!

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Congratulations for hearing the pros and cons and not the off topic
(catch 22) bullshoot !
Enjoy your new toy!

Catch22 you really come off as a jackass when you attack other posters and send stupid pictures. Those of us, that are looking for good information would appreciate you staying focused on the topic.
Jim

catch22

Jimontheroad said:
Congratulations for hearing the pros and cons and not the off topic
(catch 22) bullshoot !
Enjoy your new toy!

Catch22 you really come off as a jackass when you attack other posters and send stupid pictures. Those of us, that are looking for good information would appreciate you staying focused on the topic.
Jim

Thank you.... here's another one, just for you. :p

rabbit_pancake.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
I don't think someone read the rules, and it's not Catch22.

Both the Islander and Gulfstream, and the Islander's replacement - the dual console model, all were/are offered with single power as well as twin power.

With equal technologies as far as fuel consumption goes, there is no way twins come out as the economic advantage -in overall ownership costs.

How many more reasons are there that the Islanders and Gulfs I've seen with original power, were by far singles instead of twins?

If he's buying a new Gulf, I think the single bracket takes one F350 now, which is more than enough power considering the carb or OX66s were only 250s originally on the boats. Can any twin combo beat the economics of the F350 setup or single F250 (if he's not after speed)?

As far as top speed goes, I bet a beer, twins 200 HPDIs will take the Gulf to 50 MPH+, and get there faster than the F350. Of course, I'm biased though.

These models have many power choice options the Sailfish doesn't have, I'm jealous.

Now if I were a salesman, a good salesman, I would sell him all the boat I can which means twins, even if he didn't want twins.

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
about 12 months ago, I posted almost the same question as the original poster (jpclarlie), except I was committed to twins and torn between 150's and 200's. I ended up getting a 2008 with T-150's, mainly for the following 3 reasons:
1. I felt that where I boat most often (Ches. Bay), I would not be able to take advantage of the extra power/speed of the T-200's
2. Twin 200's were an extra $9,000 ( as quoted by Norfolk Marine)
3. I was concerned about the extra weight of the 200s'

after owning our Gulfstream for a year, and putting about 90'hrs on the motors, here is my take on this issue.

1. 98% of the time, my twin 150's give me more power than I need. I will admit that out of the 90 hrs. on the motors, there were about 2 hours where I would hrs. where I would have liked to have gone 51 mph vs. my top end of 45 mph. These were the rare times when the water and winds were just right. But I will also admit that there was another 20% of the time, were I felt like I was running the 150's pretty hard crusing at 35 to 40 mph, where as with the twin 200's they would have been running pretty easy. But most of the time (80% or so), it would not matter what HP I had on the back, we could not have gone much faster without taking a reak beating.

2. the price given the overall boat price of about 95k really did not come into play that much given it would have only been another 10% increase in monthly payments. I was just concerned that I would have regreted not going for it.

3. Most of the time, we have 4 people on our boat (wife and two sons 16 and 17). With a full take of fuel, the motors do sit low in the water. I have noticed that coming off of a plane, that the overwash from the wake probably comes 2 or 4 inches over the seam in the motor cawling. I wish the motors set a bit higher, but I am glad they do not sit any lower, which is probably what they would do with t-200s'

I have been able to pull our two sons out of the water on a wake board with out much problem at all. Not that wake boarding is what we do much often, but the HP has not been a problem with a wake board. NOT sure how it would pull up a skier on one ski but for a wake boad it did OK.

I guess after a year, I do not regret the decision 98% of the time., but there is 2% of the time, I would like to break the 50 mph speed barrier. AS others have said, I am very pleased with the twins, while 300 hp is OK IMHO, I think a single 225 or 250 might be a bit underpowered.

oh... and I almost forget. while fishing near the fist island of the CBBT with my 16 yr old son, we ended up getting a braded fishing wire wrapped around one of the props while fishing for stipers and dodging other boats. The winds and tide was pushing us closer and closer to the rocks of the fist island, I was very happy to be able to fire up the other motor to get us away from the hazards of the rocks. Had we not had twins, I would have had to have taken a chance and just put the motor in drive and hoped for the best. With twins, we were able to get away from the rocks, grap a pole and untwist the line from the prop... with no damage.

All in all we are very much pleased with our Gulfstream and looking forward to getting the boys through college so we can upgrade to a larger GW in the future.

Ric, from Va

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Oh and JpClarkie..
My Gulfstream will not hit 50MPH with my 200's. I can bounce off 48-49, trimmed out..
My guess is that's the diff. between the 4-strokes and the slightly more powerful HDPI's.

I'm staying out of the bantering between Catch and JimOnTheRoad but Jim has a point. If you are gonna trailer a twin Gulfstream setup, a kick-butt truck is in your future.
When I got mine, I had to upgrade to a Dodge Cummins as my 3/4 Chev 454 struggled and wouldn't stop the thing.
Again, my fully-fueled-and-loaded Gulf is 10,100 LBS. I weighed it at a Cat Scale at a Pilot truck stop and my eyes got real big...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Magic, are you talking F200s not hitting 50 mph? , I was talking the 200+ lb lighter 200 HPDI's payload!

I wonder if that will do it?

I can do 45 mph on my much heavier Sailfish, full canvas up, in water that is not a lake, almost got bounced right out of the boat.

I had to do WOT for the break-in procedure, the only need I have for speed not to mention dental work to restore fillings.

Bama96

I have been looking at this setup as well. Do you guys think the 200 HPDI's would hurt resale down the road? I know these are great engines and would be my choice, but they are 2 stoke. Would F150's be easier to sell on this rig?

GWcpa

Yes, the F150 will have better resale, but the 200HPDIs are ideal power. An F150 won't plane the boat.

I had no problem hitting 52-53 with Mirage plus 19's at 5700 rpm with 100 gallons. Always wanted to try a set of 21's for fun, but never did. Holeshot was "right now." 2.2-2.4 mpg was not bad at all at cruise.

I had plenty of opportunity to run that fast in the rivers I boat on. I never ran offshore. Was nice to have the radar tracking a T-storm and just run around or away from it.

Just a fact that more buyers will prefer 4 strokes over 2 strokes. Once the HPDIs are discontinued, it will hurt resale even more. A set of F175 would be ideal, if they existed, of course. or 4 cylinder 200s.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
BobP..
Yeah, I'm referring to my 4-stroke 200's..
I tried a wide-open run on an (unusually)calm day on the Atlantic side of the Keys, just North of Marathon. I had run the fuel down to 1-2 bars on the gauge and figured that with the light fuel load and saltwater, now was my chance.
I hit 5800 with both engines, but couldn't break 50. I have read that the HDPI's were a bit stronger and lighter and attributed that to why one could top 50 with them.
I should mention that I have bottom paint..Is your Marlin painted also? 45 seems OK to me..Heck top speed doesn't matter in these boats anyway.
I wanted HDPI 200's for my 232, but was told Grady wouldn't offer them anymore. I was partial to having them factory-rigged, so I went with the 4-strokes..I have not been sorry..they are magnificent works of modern technology..I have go fasts idle by me 100 feet away, and I have to look at my tachs to see if my outboards are running or not.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
I believe 200 HPDI's are actually putting out a hair over 200hp and the F200's put out slightly below 200, factor in the weight difference and the quicker response of the 2 stroke and that will be the difference of about 2mph or so.

As far as HPDI's hindering sales value, yes they will a little, especially down the road. A boat with twin 200 HPDI's vs F200's could be as much as $10,000 just for the four stroke power, not saying they are better engines, but that is how the market is, buyers are leaning towards 4 strokes because it is newer technology, not because it is any better or will last longer. Both have good track records and both are hard to beat. A boat with HPDI's might be less to buy, are you more worried about the cost now or selling it down the road, what is more important to you and will suit you better? That is something you need to decide.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
gradyfish22 said:
I believe 200 HPDI's are actually putting out a hair over 200hp and the F200's put out slightly below 200, factor in the weight difference and the quicker response of the 2 stroke and that will be the difference of about 2mph or so.

As far as HPDI's hindering sales value, yes they will a little, especially down the road. A boat with twin 200 HPDI's vs F200's could be as much as $10,000 just for the four stroke power, not saying they are better engines, but that is how the market is, buyers are leaning towards 4 strokes because it is newer technology, not because it is any better or will last longer. Both have good track records and both are hard to beat. A boat with HPDI's might be less to buy, are you more worried about the cost now or selling it down the road, what is more important to you and will suit you better? That is something you need to decide.

to be clearer on my earlier post. the difficulty reselling a larger fishboat single engine setup was just that: single engine. hpdi versus four stroke may have a little influence in resale value (as noted above), but not whether or not you can get a buyer. further, because of the bracket, the gulfstream needs to be setup at the start for twins or the retro cost would be very significant.

not trying to influence your decision, just giving facts. ron

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Hey JP..

Since your post started this firestorm of opinions, you now are required to let us all know what your final decision is.
Don't leave us hangin' and best of luck with whatever you decide..

jpclarkie

I already answered on page 2 of this post. When I'm ready I will opt for twin engines versus a single for stated obvious reasons. Thanks again all!