Sionyx Nightwave

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a Sionyx Aurora I got a few years ago and while I was happy with the performance, It only connected to an ipad or tablet via the Sionyx APP. When it connected, it worked fine... but I had a couple of instances where 20 minutes in, it disconnected- think about when this happens: it's dark out and that's not a convenient time to be messing with it. I also didn't like that it was battery powered. I don't use it much so of course everytime I went to use it, I had to charge it.

Fast forward, they released the Nightwave. Similar shape to a flir, oblong ball kind of thing but smaller- it's NOT a FLIR...it's a low light camera which is reflected in the price... it mounts permananently or with a RAM mount and hard wires to either USB or Analog video. It can also use the APP if you like.

I had an extra 12" Raymarine C series that I replaced with a Simrad when I repowered so I mounted the C series up in the electronics box. It will only be using the C series for fishing (it's connected to good transducers) and Nightvision.

Just got done installing it yesterday. Connected the analog cable to the C series analog port on the power cord. I'm very happy with it. I would not go offshore depending on this camera unless you ahd a clear night with starlight or some kind of moonlight. I boat mostly on the great south bay and there's enough light pollution coming from all the shore lights to make the Nightwave a good fit for this area. For those who are curios, this camera sells for $1895.00 in most places.

While I was not a fan of the APP on the Aurora, this connection is better and easier for those who want to go that route. Also, note that to make some adjustments, you need to use the APP. In my case, I mounted it upside down so I had to change the view in the app. The changes save so you don't have to do it everytime you turn it on. And... you can still adjust the image with some of the settings on the MFD- I was able to change color intensity, aspect ratio, brightness with the C series settings.

Here's a shot of the difference between naked eye and camera view.

naked eye
IMG_3473.jpeg
Camera view:
IMG_3474.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A and Chutch

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow thats quite a different view! Impressive.