Sirius Radio Project

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just added Sirius to the factory Kenwood system. I got the parts right from Crutchfield for under $200. I did not go the 2 black box route. Instead I got a vehicle kit and the Kenwood converter box. The benefit here is I can use the same radio from my truck in the boat with only one subscription. I was able to fit the converter under the radio in the box and mount the head unit on it to the left. Preliminary test and the controls and remote operate the radio just fine. I will post a picture when I get it back together. It looks pretty good.

The install was fairly straight forward and the hardest part will be finding a place for the Sirius antenna. I tried to find an easy route from the head unit to the hardtop and it does not exist. The only way to the hardtop that I can find is up to the bow and back down again. The manual shows the stock antenna up on the bow near the port running light. How has that location worked for people? It would be a much easier location to install but seems like it could be open to damage. To install on the hardtop I would have to make a TNC-F to TNC-M cable. I have a 100' one that was too long. Our regular cable that we use for those connectors is too stiff should probably use RG-58/6 for this. What do people think put the antenna on the bow or the extra work for the hardtop? Is it worth the trouble?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The antenna will pick up fine through fiberglass. Mount it up under the console and forget about it.

I did the same kit to the factory stereo when I had my 205. Worked perfectly and I didn't spend a lot of money...I think I found the Sirius box for $50 or so online.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Parthery said:
The antenna will pick up fine through fiberglass. Mount it up under the console and forget about it.

I did the same kit to the factory stereo when I had my 205. Worked perfectly and I didn't spend a lot of money...I think I found the Sirius box for $50 or so online.

Where did you mount your antenna? Hardtop or in the bow like the factory does? If you did it on the hardtop which route did you use for the antenna cable?