Sit up, lean back?

realdeal

Reaction score
Hi guys. Been looking at the Adventure 208 AND the Seafarer 228 models on the GW website. It appears at 5'6", I would not have a problem sitting up but sitting completely back looks like it may not be doable? Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Louie

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not sure I get what you are asking . Are you wondering about sitting up in the helm chairs

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am 5'5" and I own a 228 and I have no issues with sitting or standing while at the controls of the helm. I have not hit anyone ....yet. I had few close calls . Lol. Ok,not really.

Reactions: Heyspike

realdeal

Reaction score
Sorry. I failed to mention "inside the cuddy" Louie

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am 5'5" and I own a 228 and I have no issues with sitting or standing while at the controls of the helm. I have not hit anyone ....yet. I had few close calls . Lol. Ok,not really.

You haven't hit anybody because everyone gives you a wide berth because you run around the waterways with your bumpers flopping around hanging off the sides!!! :eek::p

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
You haven't hit anybody because everyone gives you a wide berth because you run around the waterways with your bumpers flopping around hanging off the sides!!! :eek::p
True dat! I go to Walmart and buy the best bumpers they have there and let those babies flop on the sides. It's like a coral snake...bumpers flying on back watch out jack. Bumpers left on the side better run and hide.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Back to OP. I have a 228 also and I'm 6'2" and can sit in the cuddy just fine. Not sure what you're meaning by all the way back. If you mean with your back against the little padded shelf cushion around the cabin walls, then no. You'd have to get into a much larger boat, meaning deeper or one of the express models that don't have the walkway recess that encroaches into cabin space.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's pretty common in lot's of boats - for the cushion "bottom" to pretty deep. There's nothing really new there. But I certainly wouldn't put that up high on a priority list when buying a boat, you know? If they made the seat bottom less deep, it would cut down on the storage space - and storage space typically trumps a cabin cushion that most people will use only rarely.

You could always put an extra pillow behind you... or use the Type IV - they're great for that.

realdeal

Reaction score
OP here. Thanks guys. I don't see a pillow helping because I think you would be bending forward. I am a laid back kind of guy, (chuckle) Ky Grady. You should know since you own one. I would love to go bigger but I will be limited because towing behind a motor home, I am limited as to how much I can tow safely. 4500 to 5000 lbs. 500 tongue weight. It seems to be questionable as to whether an upgraded hitch can legally get the job done? Louie

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Maybe I don't fully understand what you're asking, but why would a pillow cause you to lean forward? It will (roughly) match the angle of the backrest around the v-berth. A Type IV would perfectly match it.

How much time are you planning on spending in the cabin sitting down? 99% of people want to spend 99% of their time out in the cockpit. You can cook, eat, converse, etc out there. If the weather turns rainy, put the canvas up.

Last edited:

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Op, I don't truly understand your question. Then again maybe I am not the sharpest hook in the tackle box.

What exactly do you want to lean against? Is it the cabin wall? Are you picturing sitting in traffic cabin and lounging? Then are you wanting a pillow or bolster of sorts to support resting against?

Towing.
If you are going on trips say beyond 30-60 minutes you could reduce weight by running your gas tank to empty, no water and no drinks. Remove as much cargo weight as you can. When we tow from NC to Florida I run my gas down to 1/4 tank or less. That's hundreds of pounds I don't have to pull and stop. The issue is not pulling the boat , it's stopping it. If you want to add a margin of extra safety have your trailer equipped with electric over hydraulic brakes. This will help trailering the boat with an RV.

The cabin
I love my boat. With that said I would LOVE a 30 foot Marlin even more. It seems once you get below the Gulfstream the cabins on the 20 foot over nighter and the seafarer are small. I have camped out on the boat a number of times and two adults can easily sleep in the 228 cabin. I am not sure about the Overnighter.

We use the cabin when trolling for dolphin as a place to nap on the troll. We also use it as a place to get out of the sun when on the reef. The rest if the time we store a lot of day boat stuff in it. If I were you and you think you will use the cabin for people more than stuff, then get the 228. Besides the 228 is one the best laid out 22 foot boats around.

Good luck with your search

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am 5'6" and have a 208 Adventure. I have no problem standing in the cabin. Sitting on the berth is no problem, but too deep for me to lean back on the 'hull'.
I am not as limber as I once was, so getting in the cabin without hitting my head on the cabin top while stepping down, is the challenge :).
If you are referring to the helm seat, I can sit or stand (prefer standing). When the kids are on the bow I have to stand.