skiing behind Tournament 275 vs T225

lewes257

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forum, but have enjoyed reading many,many of the posts. I own a 2003 257 w/ single 225. I enjoy the fishiness of the boat, but a lot of time is also spent tubing and now some waterskiing/wake boarding with my kids and friends. My boat isn't quite fast or nimble enough. I'm thinking of either trading in for either the T225 or the T275...if the $ works out. I've heard a lot of good things about both boats. I haven't heard any first hand experiences with watersports and these boats. Is the 275 good for skiing/tubing, or is it too big and heavy? Thanks for any insights. Oh, we boat in the Delaware Bay, where it is often choppy.

striped bass

Reaction score
You will get plenty of get up and go from both the T225 and T275 especially if you select the F350 on the T275. As an option an earlier T225 with a Yamaha 225 two stroke will definitely provide plenty of kick for water skiing and save some dollars up front on the purchase but you give some back in gas consumption. Some Grady owners find the two stroke more robust and responsive then the four stroke. I'm sure there will be plenty of comment on that statement. Test drive them before making the jump.

Absolute

Reaction score
I have a 268 with twin F225's but we wakeboard behind our Supra 21V. I prefer to have a seperate dedicated Wakeboard boat and a dedicated fishing boat. We would not think od skiing or wakeboarding behind the Grady?

leek

Reaction score
Watersports

I bought the T225 for all around use. It is a fine recreational towboat. It is not as good as the dedicated wakeboard or ski boats but respectable if you are not a tournament quality skier or wakeboarder. I was surprised how small the wake is at 34-36 mph. It makes a pretty decent wake for wakeboarding under 20 mph.
I would think that the 275 would be a little slow out of the hole even with the 350 and that the wake would be on the large side but I have not driven one.
The wake on my 38 is probably 2' high at 20 mph.

lewes257

Reaction score
skiing w/ T225 or T275

Thanks to all for input. I'm trying to avoid having 2 separate boats. We are definitely not too serious about the wakeboarding...I just want my kids to have fun. Fishing is still number one! Lewes257

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I have a 275 with an F350 that I have not pull anything behind yet. I will be out on it tomorrow and will take a good look at the wake and out of the hole time and post again tomorrow night. If I can pull it off I will post photos to allow you to make your own judgment.

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
we have a 232 with twin 150's. We cruise 40% of the time , fish 40% and tube/wake board the other 20% . While I am not sure how it would do pulling up a skiier, our grady has no problem pulling up my two sons (130 and 150 lbs)- one at the time of course, on the wake board.

Definetly, not the most nimble boat at doing a 180 turn to pick up a fallen wakeboarder, but she has no problem at all at pulling the boys out if the hole on the wakeboard. I can only imagine the gas milage I am getting doing the wake board thing, but no doubt much more cost effective than having two boats.

lewes257

Reaction score
Those percentages are very similar to mine....also the weights of your kids!
I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing about the T275(Tashmoo). Thanks!

gregsteph

Reaction score
We've got a 275 with the twin 150's, and have pulled a large tube behind it (multiple kids) and wakeboards -- just entertainment level activities. I crafted a harness that slips on both stern eyes.

The boat works fine for those situations, though we push a pretty good-sized wake with the extra weight and pull at the stern. I've not pulled a skier, so acceleration has been less of an issue. And, as engineersx2 points out below with the 232, we lack the nimbleness to return super quickly to someone in the water.

As I recall, the 205 and 225 can both be fitted with a ski pole, which would have some distinct benefits. I don't think that's an option with the 275 -- at least not one I recall.

One fun aspect is that we can have a good number of kids with us, and they laugh at each other. Given our balance of watersports to other activities, it's an excellent compromise.

Good luck!

lewes257

Reaction score
Thanks. You can get a ski pylon with the 275 now, too. Grady moved the night light to make room for it.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I just returned from the marina, it is 52 degrees on the water with light rain, June --- more like April. I decided not to go out tonight will go tomorrow and post photos then as I wil have someone with me to drive.

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
I have the 225 with the F250. THe Grady sales folks market the boat as "THE SUV OF BOATS". I have the ski pylon that works great for tubing. We have a three person tube that is no problem for the ski pylon. That thing is rock solid the way it is mounted behind the transom on the swim platform. Pylon keeps the tow rope away from the prop quite nicely.You can remove it as well but I have not tried to do so. No wakeboarding yet, it will kick up a pretty good wake running under 20mph. I am still trying to figure out the best trim for tubing around that speed. Can you say gas guzzler.

I must admit that the layout of the boat is great for gang. The two youngest teenagers always go up front in the bow which leaves a lot of room in the rest of the boat. The swim platform is great with the fresh water hose in the transom for rinsing. Great size boat for our family of 5 on the Chesapeake and good fuel economy at cruise and troll/drift. Am starting to sound like one of those sales guys. :shock: Mail me if you have any questions.

Frank

Reaction score
Have you considered selling the 225 (particularly if it is a 4 stroke) and putting a 250 on it or even a Suzuki 300 or a Verado 275? Those might be cheaper alternatives and still let you retain the boat that meets your primary objectives of fishing.

lewes257

Reaction score
skiking/275

I have been considering a larger engine, but haven't really looked into it. I've been blinded by seeing these newer models at my dealer!!! I will look into that option. I appreciate everyone's input on this matter. Thanks!

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Here are the wake photos from a 275 comming out of the hole and accelerating to 30MPH. No question it will pull a skier out quickly the issue is how picky are your skiers. A 75' rope is a must and the wake. well see for your self. Hope this helps.

IMG_3394L.jpg

IMG_3400L.jpg

IMG_3412L.jpg
[/img]

lewes257

Reaction score
skiing/275

Thanks for the pictures. The wake actually looks smaller than my boat's. Now I just have to decide what to do! Thanks for all your help.

Hooksetter

Reaction score
I have spoken with a guy that owns a newer (08) 275 w. dual 150 Yammys. Also, I know of a 273 --same hull as the 275, with the twins. She'll jump out of the hole very quickly. Some say the hole shot is quicker with the twin 150s compared to the single 350. Truly, I think the difference is insignificant unless you are in some type of competition. The boat would be a bit more manuverable with the twins as you can manipulate the engines with opposing thrust. It's a great package, with a bit less horsepower sure, but a great package. :lol: :lol: