Slick50

gradynorm

Reaction score
Just had a survey done on the 2005 33 express I'm purchasing and the surveyor told me one of the best things to coat metal below water components with to stop marine growth was slick50, the same stuff put in engines for improved performance. Anyone else heard this or tried it? Seems strange but crazy things work at times

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Slick50 contains motor oil and Polytetrafluoroethylene, which is commonly know as Teflon. Many marine polishes contain the same compound. They will slow the attachment of marine organisms for a little while, but not for more than a few weeks.

Most marine surveyors that I've know over the years were WFAAE's (Worlds Foremost Authorities About Everything). Good luck with that kind of advice.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm sure there are lot's of things that "can" work. But at what cost to the marine environment, you know? Anti-fouling paint has been changing, too, to be "nicer" to the environment. And, boy, if the EPA saw someone putting motor oil on the bottom of their boat... Field day! I'd stick with the tried-n-true methods. I also agree that I can't imagine it lasting very long.

Fishtales

Reaction score
X3. Effort not worth the gain. We should be protecting our waterways not polluting. Antifoul paint while having it's drawbacks is regulated and known.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Doc Stressor.....I bet you cant say that (PTFE) three times fast? Lol. Sounds like the guy who told me that every good boat captain knows to spray pledge furnish polish on their boat trailer surge brake master cylinder to keep it working well.