Slime in water tank blocks filter

SeaSea

Reaction score
The water tank on my 2003 22ft Seafarer contains a slim which clogs the pump filter. I put Aquafresh tablets in durring the summer and have even tried to add some bleach but the slime still is present. I can run the pump for about a minute until the water flow is stopped and I need to remove and clean the filter. Does anyone know if I can remove the filter on the pump and pump the tank dry? Will running the slime through the pump damage it? How do I prevent the slime from coming back and how do I eliminate it? Is there any other way to empty the tank?

Rhumbline

Reaction score
Definately do not run pump without the filter. The debris, which the filter is capturing, would harm the pump.

Not sure how to erradicate the slime from the tank.

Can you siphon the water into your bilge? Bilge should be lower than the water tank - allowing a siphon to work. The slime would then be pushed through the bilge pump which is a little more resilient to debris.

Alternative would be get an attachment to your drill to pump water out of your tank and dump overboard.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Same reply as Bob P. I use an aggressive mixture of 2 gallons of Clorox in tank. I first run the tank as dry as possible - add 2 gallons of clorox and a couple of gallons of water and then run each water outlet - sinks shower and cockpit sink until the bleach begins to flow out. I then let it sit in the lines for a couple of hours and then begin the flush by filling the tank with fresh water several times until the smell of bleach is gone. It really freshens the whole system.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I ran a garden hose down into the water tank and let the water run and let the water spill back out the fill opening. I moved hose around and and allowed the water pressure to flush out the slime. I continued to run and move hose around until water ran without any slime. I cleaned the filter in the pump and have not had a problem.

StriperMan

Reaction score
When you leave your boat, always make sure you fill your water tank and add the chlorine or other chemicals. Leaving the tank with air space will create the choice environment for mold and other nasty things. A good friend left his boat with his water tank almost empty because of the foul smell he was getting from the water at our marina. Learned the hard way when he found his tank had significant crud growing inside.

P.S.
Always add the chemicals first then fill with water.

Rhumbline

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great information.

I followed the tips here to purge the water tank - put a fresh water hose into the tank and pushed slime back out.

Cleaned tank with clorox and then flushed.

Works great, filter is not clogging.

Will be more dilegent with clorine on refills.

Cheers,

Rhumbline

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like it when a plan comes together!

I also like the Clorox for $1.79 per gallon !

Be careful with the clorox concentration, people use sinks to rinse off their face, wet towel off makeup, wash dishes, brush teeth, shave. In the shower, I always get water in my mouth, not the intention but it happens.

So you don't have to "drinking" the water but needs the same safe quality in my opinion.

Too much clorox will screw you up. That's why no commercial products on the shelf named clorox for such use.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NEM, if no health problems occurring then I suspect it is OK. I would say the less the better on the clorox.

I do the soak with 8 ounces per 10 gals, so it's 12 oz of Clorox for my 15 gal tank.

Because a few quarts remain in tank even when pumped, I rinse twice after I dump that soak load.
Don't add any more clorox on refill which stays in for use.

On next refill, I add less than 1/4 oz of Clorox.

And do the same each refill until next soak, only need the soak so far at beginning of season.

I also throw in a few of those purifying tablets, for whatever good they do. I have an assortment of products on the shelf bought for the tank, none worked as well as Clorox, the only one that cured the sour odor.

Clorox Cleanup is another Clorox product that worked like none other on mildew, even the mildew embedded into the hard plastic ladder backs on my bridge chairs.

martinclukey

Reaction score
I have had some slime in filter before assumed it was just algae growth. My tank is very clear. I do regular water changes. Today I noticed that my water filtration system are so awesome and quality is much better as compare to other water filter system. Thanks

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On my boat I can unhook the water line on the tank side of the pump, and just drain it into the bilge. You may want to try that to drain the tank first if it is really nasty. I have been using the bleach soak and rinse like the other posters in the spring. I usually use about 2-3 cups.to about half a tank. I run it through all the lines. faucets etc. Then let it sit overnight.The next day I will flush out with fresh water. I use a little bit of bleach per tank as maintenance. Every time I check the filter it is clean. We don't use the water for drinking, just for rinsing things off. This has worked for me better then any other method or product. Everything else I tried, after a month or 2 the tank would get funky. I suppose you could use a pool chemical tester to test chlorine levels in the water tank.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I remember asking about this before and never got a clear answer. I did find some information eventually in one of the boating magazines and searched for it again. Here is what I found:

From Boat US Site: http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/apr ... ystems.asp

DRINKING WATER PURITY (2, 6) when in question, can be improved by addition of a small amount of bleach. The Washington State Department of Health recommends approximately 1 teaspoon of household bleach with no perfumes, dyes, or other additives per 10 gallons of water. See also the Centers For Disease Control site (www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/safe ... #make_safe). If possible, agitate the water after the addition of bleach and then let it sit for an hour. Chlorine odor will dissipate after a day. Bleach may initially make the water to which it's added unclear because it's killed the "bugs." The water clears as these settle to the bottom. They ultimately should be flushed out.

Mine is sitting with RV antifreeze in it now. Last time I checked, very pink and clear. But getting excited now as soon will be able to get the bleach and flush system, then prepare a nice full tank for Spring fishing!

bc282

Reaction score
i'm thinking i may similar problem with my fresh water system--slime.
gonna try some bleach.

i've read here that members have "cleaned" out the filter on their tanks, where can i find my filter to check and clean it?
2002 282 Sailfish. i believe the tank is in the very aft under and behind batteries--very difficult to impossible to access.
Water fill inlet in front of engine wells/back of cockpit off to port side a bit.
thx.