Slippery steps

mrzeeno98

Reaction score
Almost took a couple of nasty spills when the steps going down to the cabin on my Sailfish 272 were even a little wet. I like the tile finish on the steps but not the fall factor.
I think non=slip tape looks ugly and wouldn't last either.
You guys always have great ideas. What works? What doesn't?

P.S. I'm glad I don't have bigger problems!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nionskid tape works well and will last maybe 2 season's and is easy to remove and replace. I am not a huge fan of the look, but safety and function is more important then looks. Aside from sanding the area flat, and spraying a aggresive nonskid down, there are few options here. You could buy teak and make step tops, but that would be costly and you might need to get crafty to makie them fit well, but it would add to the look of the interior and make the steps less slippery.

See Saw

Reaction score
I rebuilt the steps on my islander with varnished wood. I never liked the cheap and tacky looking stuff that came with the boat. The wood looked great but SLIPPERY! I used the non stick tape and I am not at all happy with the way it looks. I found this stuff at west marine that you can mix into paint or varnish to give a non skid finish. It looks like it will finish clear. I havent bought it yet but when I do it I will let you know if it works while still being able to see the wood which really does dress up the interior.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
GW will sell you the stuff they put on the steps of the boats now (At least I know it is on the 360's). It looks good and I think you can cut it to fit. I don't really know how to describe it.....It's like a mesh weave mat sort of stuff.....Looks good and works like a charm......Give GW a shout and see what they say....

freddy063

Reaction score
What I did was got some rubber backed carpet pulld up the old plastic stuff and used them as a templet. Cut to size and glued the carpet on and haven't had any trouble slipping.