Slow draining cockpit scuppers

busterblue

Reaction score
Hey, I'm (relatively) new to the forum and GW ownership. This is my first year. I love my 89 Sailfish 252g; but can someone tell me, is there a "standard" problem with the cokpit sole scuppers draining slowly. Mine are slow and don't typically "finish" the job leaving (blood) water splashing around the cockpit sole.

Is there a sloution?

seasick

Reaction score
Assuming the scuppers are above the water line, try sticking a hose in them to flush any debris. Mine clog up regularly with leaves and such.

catch22

Reaction score
Over time, the scuppers can become stiff, (especially when they've been painted over). That will slow down the draining. Try lifting the rubber flap with your finger. If it feels stiff, replace it. Make sure you get the genuine replacement too, (Grady uses Attwood). Do not replace them with "West Marine's" brand... they are extremely stiff.

Example - http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/S ... VALVE.html

You should also be able to purchase the individual pieces, (rubber backing disc, flapper, plastic ring) at a Grady dealer.

striped bass

Reaction score
My scuppers had the same problem. I wrapped a piece of cloth around the nozzle of the hose and put in the inboard end of the drain to build up pressure and out came the leaves and debris. Same procesure for the other drains that don't have a rubber flap. An air hose works just as well.