Slow Fueling

Soyboy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have a new 2019 307 Freedom. I have to put gas in it very slowly, or gas will come back out the fill tube. It acts like the fuel vent may be plugged. I found the vent on the side of the boat. Is it possible the vent is plugged? It looks clear from the outside. Where else should I look for the problem?

Soyboy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I took the vent apart, and the screen was clean. Must be another issue, like a kink in the vent tube between the tank and the vent.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I was under the impression that all newer fuel fills had the vent inside the cap, not on the hull. Didn't know they had changed the requirement. I'd be looking for a kinked hose, either vent or fill. Are you sure you didn't check the holding tank vent? Should be under warranty though.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Has this always been a problem, or did it just pop up? Maybe blow thru the vent with compressed air with the full open to check the tube for kinks.

seasick

Reaction score
Has this always been a problem, or did it just pop up? Maybe blow thru the vent with compressed air with the full open to check the tube for kinks.
If this, remove the fuel cap first! But as mentioned, make sure the fitting is a gas tank vent. If you can see under the gunnel where the tank fill is, you may see two hoses going up to the fill fitting. If there are two hoses, than you have a combo fill/vent fitting/ The other vent outside could be for a different tank like fresh water.

Reactions: ScottyCee

Soyboy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have only filled the boat with gas one time since I have owned it. Took about 45 minutes to load 200 gallons. I will check under the gunnel tomorrow, to see if I can spot a kinked hose and verify I have the right vent. Thanks for your answers. Steve

Soyboy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I found out from the dealer that there is a charcoal filter in the vent line, behind the screen. That slows down the vent process to the point where all newer boat have the problem. That filter is in the gunnel. I can see it, but it’s not easy to get to. Guess I will have to plan on extra time to get fuel.

seasick

Reaction score
Interesting and I get it. I guess you might want to try a slower fill rate if the nozzle is constantly tripping to see if that helps.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
All new boats do NOT suffer from that problem. However, if that filter was installed incorrectly it may be full of fuel (essentially a clog) or if the system was grossly overfilled the canister may be full of fuel for that reason, too. This charcoal "EPA" system (it's part of the mandated vapor collection system) is not brand new, either, it's been around for a while, now.

I know you said it's hard to get to, but if you wanted, remove it. BUT, a properly installed (and functioning) system "should" allow you to fill your tank at a normal rate.

I would not accept the answer you were given - it is not "normal".

FYI... it's basically the same thing as in a car - and we don't have issues there.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Soyboy, be aware that that charcoal filter gizmo in the vent is required by the Feds to meet the emission standards that have gotten very restrictive. The boat builder had to include it but you don't have to live with it. If you remove it and your boat fills properly then you know what to do.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I am pretty certain the vent on the side of the boat is the vent for the holding tank. The vent for the newer gas fills are in the gas fill. If fuel is spilling into the fill, it is likely coming from the vent in the fill unless you are saying that the fuel is filling the 2" fill hose completely. If fuel is, in fact, coming into the fill through the built in vent, then the vent isn't clogged and your system might need a slightly lower fuel flow rate during filling.

Soyboy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Thanks Guys. I will
All new boats do NOT suffer from that problem. However, if that filter was installed incorrectly it may be full of fuel (essentially a clog) or if the system was grossly overfilled the canister may be full of fuel for that reason, too. This charcoal "EPA" system (it's part of the mandated vapor collection system) is not brand new, either, it's been around for a while, now.

I know you said it's hard to get to, but if you wanted, remove it. BUT, a properly installed (and functioning) system "should" allow you to fill your tank at a normal rate.

I would not accept the answer you were given - it is not "normal".

FYI... it's basically the same thing as in a car - and we don't have issues there.
Thank you. I will check further.

Soyboy

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Thanks Guys. I will check further. Putting more gas in it tomorrow.

Caburke1

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have a similar issue with my 2019 306 Canyon and got the same explanation from my dealer. It seems to have gotten better with time.

Last Stop

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have a new 2019 307 Freedom. I have to put gas in it very slowly, or gas will come back out the fill tube. It acts like the fuel vent may be plugged. I found the vent on the side of the boat. Is it possible the vent is plugged? It looks clear from the outside. Where else should I look for the problem?
I have a very new to me 2017 307 Freedom. I have the same issue. The boat was 4 years old with only 80 hours on it when I purchased late last year. The first fill I did took 45 minutes to fill 75 gallons. The second fill I did today took me 35 minutes to fill 60 gallons. Neither was a full top-off as I ran out of time and patience.

1. Is the small chrome disc which takes an Allen key just aft and below the fill cap the vent? Can it be serviced?

2. Soy boy, did you solve the issue.

I have booked a Grady White agent technician to visit next week to sort out. I would prefer to sort myself if possible.

any further recommendations?

6BFD47BB-8ABD-42CA-98A1-D8F0AD8913C3.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As we discussed above, you have the newer style "EPA" system that, while the guy at the EPA sitting behind desk thinks it makes everything better... the rest of KNOW it does not!

If you haven't already, be sure to read through the entire thread. I'm not sure if we talked about this, but bypassing the charcoal canister is a temporary way to diagnose if the EPA system is at fault. Sometimes these "temporary" fixes become permanent....

Yes, you can remove that vent cap and check/clean the filter. FYI, this was mentioned early on in the thread, as well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never heard about the filter. Most older boats have the small triangular vent that is mounted high up on the hull not the newer circular vent. I'd try to get input from folks that have the same vent you have to get good info.