"Sludge" Oil in the Remote Tank

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is there a problem with Yamalube coagulating in the bottom of the tank? Was thinking since it is semi-synthetic, that the gelling that you see with other oil would be resolved.

And, where is the little filter that has to be cleaned? Is it actually in the remote tank, or in the line between the tank and the engine? Thanks.

Double Eagle

Reaction score
sludge

You need to take that tank out of the boat and clean it real good. while you have the tank out you will see the filter behind the tank hooked to the oil pump. There are probably little wire ties on the oil lines, these have to be cut to separate the hose when taking the tank out. At this time I would also check the oil tank on the motor and make sure the oil is in good shape. Really I would drain it and after I flushed the tank in the boat run the oil pump and see how well the motor tank fills. You sure don't want to starve your motor for oil!! Get yourself a good shop manual!!

Enough Already

Reaction score
Had that problem with both of my tanks. Sludge in both. I bought the boat used in 2003 (2001 model with 100 hours). Have always used Yamalube since then. I was having multiple oiling/shutdown issues and several dealer vsists late last year before getting the problem peoperly diagnosed. They cleaned out both tanks and "flushed" the oiling system with new filters all around. Running great since then. Still a mystery as to what caused the problem.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's water in the form of condensation and possiible leaks about O rings at fill ports and seals at tank end of remote fill hoses.

More condensation on remote fill type installation, and more condensation running tanks not full.

freddy063

Reaction score
when every you dout your oil system. premix your fuel till you find the trouble, double oil is easyer to fix...
Sorry I forgot that not every olds have old motors like I do, in the service manual my motors call for premixing.

seasick

Reaction score
I just changed the filter on mine so i had to remove the tank. While it was out, I drained the oil to clean the tank but to my surprise, the tank was clean. No sludge at all. The filter had no sludge either, but it was somewhat plugged with what looked like pieces of a paper towel.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Real Question Is.......

If you use Yamalube to the tune of about 4 gals/ year, will using Yamalube prevent the gelling?

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
freddy063 said:
whenever you doubt your oil system. premix your fuel till you find the trouble, double oil is easyer to fix...
Thats a big NO-NO with the HPDI's..I was told dont pre-mix oil with gas EVER even during break in period.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's