Small Gradys ...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I enjoy reading here because most of us are passionate about our boats, we either love em or hate em. . Back in the day when I was in middle school Grady White invented the Walk Around style boat and it catapulted them in the industry. At one point the 228 was their flagship craft and Grady kept building bigger and bigger boats where today you can get beauty of the Canyon 456.

My dream boat lies between the Sailfish and Express 330. I would take any of the walks or expresses I these sizes. With that said, I have owned a 192 and a 228. I have been aboard the 180, the 205, the 225 and a Journey. For their sizes they are great boats when compared to other small hulls. I don't think there are many boats ride wise that can hold a candle to say the 192 when looking at other 19 footers or my boat the 228. Once you get in the mid 20s there are other boats that stack up or ride better than a Grady but in the smaller boats Grady's are solid riding boats. Can I zip along at 28 knots in 5-6 seas ,nope,but even in 5-6 seas I know I am safe at 18-20 knots.

I was in the Keys a few years ago near Bahia Honda . It was blowing 15 knots gusts to 20 and we decided to head down to Newfound Harbor and have a sandbar day in the shelter from the wind. We headed west to Big Pine near shore in Hawk Channel . It was sporty like 3-4 short period stuff. I trimmed the motor in, dropped the tabs ,got the bow down and plowed through it around 22. There was a Sea Swirl ,maybe 22-23 feet and they were getting hammered. I passed them with confidence. Maybe the captain didn't know what he was doing, I don't know ,but I noticed this. That boat had like a 175 on it and it was a walk around as well. It might have even been a 150. That should tell you something right there .

I think sometimes we get in a trap of comparing a 22 foot hull to say a 27 or 30 foot hull and like most things in life there is no replacement for displacement. A 27 foot Cobia is going to ride better because it's mass and wetted hull length,but the 22 Grady versus a 22 Cobia ,I take the Grady all day long.

I love the 228 and it has served me well over the years. I do see a day coming though where I move up and she either is sold or retires to being a lake boat . I mean it's paid for with 2017 low hours 4.2 liter 250 on it plus I just put in a new Fusion Stereo too boot. Lol.

In 4 days I will be in the Keys and this time next week I will be chasing some dolphin!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's amazing the differences between different boat manufacturers, sizes, designs of boats and so forth. My previous boat was a 21' Arima that had a modified vee hull, that was a very light boat, sat low in the water line and it had all of the weight in the rear of it. The boat handled great when the weather was good or better, but what boat doesn't? My 12' Lund will do that as well. What it didn't do was handle the chop very well at all. Any small waves starting at around 1'-2' chop and it would slam very, very badly. The bow was so light and with no weight in the front that it would shoot the bow up and then slam back down again. If you buried the bow, then you'd take waves and spray over the front and sides because the boat sits so low in the water. There's an almost cult-like following out here in the PNW for Arima's and I think the only reason why is because they're made in Seattle. The guys over on the Arima owners forum sure like drinking the Kool Aid and think they're the greatest boats ever. I thought my previous boat was pretty nice until after a couple of times out and realized it wasn't the boat for me. When I bought my 228 Seafarer back in October I took her for a sea trial run, of which we had some pretty light 1'-2' chop. As we were about to go over it, out of habit I started to brace myself and bend my knees a bit as I like to stand while driving. When we went through the chop without any pounding or slamming, I eased up a bit and the tech that was out with me noticed the whole thing. I told him that my previous boat was a 21' Arima and he said, that makes sense why you did what you did then haha. The Grady will slice through the water and makes for a very comfortable, dry riding boat. I can't say enough great things about them, especially compared to what I had before.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I recently took a buddy out on my 208. Was a breezy day. 15 to 20 mph. The first couple swells we hit he was ducking expecting to be drenched. He later commented on how dry the boat was. He was not used to that.

D.D.

Reaction score
Just waiting for the "New" 215 walk around coming out sometime this month.....