Smoke and water from exhaust

seasick

Reaction score
I've seen corrosion like that before. JB weld may work, I don't know from direct experience. One thing I would try to do is when cleaning up the hole, try to tapper the sides a bit so that the inside opening is a bit wider than the outside.
If you do that, the epoxy that you form into a tapered plug and will self seal as cooling water pushes against it.

One symptom I don't understand is why a leak in that spot would cause water to exit the bypass port assuming that is where you saw it. It would fill the cowling and drain down the outside of the exhaust tube I would think.
My point is that I would try the JB weld fix before committing to the cost to replace a head and see how that works out. There may be more issues

Last edited:

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have seen this same situation before on many f150 s. It is an electrolysis problem that happens due to the water flow direction in that passageway. I have fixed many with the jb weld method. I use a product called pc-11. I repair it from the inside and the outside with the pc11. I wire brush with a dremel the area to be repaired inside and out. Then I tape off the area to be repaired. Cover the whole engine using a large heafty trash bag. Cut a small hole at the repair. Tape the bag to the taped off area. Gorilla tape works well. Then use a hand sand blaster to clean the metal outside and inside. May stuff a small wet rag in the therm hole to keep too much sand from going into the motor. Just a small shot inside the motor removes the corrosion from all the pits so the pc11 can bond to the metal. Clean with brake cleaner or acetone and a blow gun. Apply a generous amount of pc11 on the outside about 3/4 in around the hole nice and thick. Then squeeze it in the hole til you see it going into the block. Then with your finger, smear a good amount inside the sandblasted thermostat cavity. I coat the whole inside to prevent any more corrosion. Then smooth it out so it does not interfere with the thermostat. Leave the outside thick. Let everything dry. Electrolysis will not eat the pc11. Shoot a little engine paint on the outside and let dry. I’ve had 100 percent success rate with this procedure. Over the years I have done about 15 or 20 motors.
I am with seasick in that this is not why you are getting other leaks. Could also have corrosion in the exhaust. Only way to tell is take it apart to see. If it is the tuner, then replacing the tuner and repairing the block may be the answer.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well i
I have seen this same situation before on many f150 s. It is an electrolysis problem that happens due to the water flow direction in that passageway. I have fixed many with the jb weld method. I use a product called pc-11. I repair it from the inside and the outside with the pc11. I wire brush with a dremel the area to be repaired inside and out. Then I tape off the area to be repaired. Cover the whole engine using a large heafty trash bag. Cut a small hole at the repair. Tape the bag to the taped off area. Gorilla tape works well. Then use a hand sand blaster to clean the metal outside and inside. May stuff a small wet rag in the therm hole to keep too much sand from going into the motor. Just a small shot inside the motor removes the corrosion from all the pits so the pc11 can bond to the metal. Clean with brake cleaner or acetone and a blow gun. Apply a generous amount of pc11 on the outside about 3/4 in around the hole nice and thick. Then squeeze it in the hole til you see it going into the block. Then with your finger, smear a good amount inside the sandblasted thermostat cavity. I coat the whole inside to prevent any more corrosion. Then smooth it out so it does not interfere with the thermostat. Leave the outside thick. Let everything dry. Electrolysis will not eat the pc11. Shoot a little engine paint on the outside and let dry. I’ve had 100 percent success rate with this procedure. Over the years I have done about 15 or 20 motors.
I am with seasick in that this is not why you are getting other leaks. Could also have corrosion in the exhaust. Only way to tell is take it apart to see. If it is the tuner, then replacing the tuner and repairing the block may be the answer.
Well if I ever get this problem I’m sure to do this.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
F150 repair

Attachments

• 8FFA200E-25B6-41A0-AD6E-480AFA4C018D.jpeg
    8FFA200E-25B6-41A0-AD6E-480AFA4C018D.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 5A74DA9F-B71F-44C4-86E9-706CC047E42B.jpeg
    5A74DA9F-B71F-44C4-86E9-706CC047E42B.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 15

NE Grady 208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks everyone. I completed the fix this morning. I sanded around the hole, scuffed it with a wire brush, wiped clean with acetone and piled on the JB weld. I did not take the boat out of the water and do the repair from the inside. If this holds, I will take the thermostat out in the fall and cleanout/fix the cavity. If it doesn’t hold, I will follow Sparkdog118 advice. After reading here and some other forums, seems this is more common than I initially thought. Going to let the JB weld cure overnight. I will let you how it goes.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yeah pretty common. Let us know how it holds. Feel like all of us 3.3L owners will be there some time. It seems to not matter what year or horsepower.

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I am really hoping it holds. The last motor that needed this repair came in with watered down electrical parts. I had to replace the stator, starter motor, and a few other expensive electrical parts. He wasted 1500$ worth of electrical before he opened the hood and found the damage. Just keep your eye on it.

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am really hoping it holds. The last motor that needed this repair came in with watered down electrical parts. I had to replace the stator, starter motor, and a few other expensive electrical parts. He wasted 1500$ worth of electrical before he opened the hood and found the damage. Just keep your eye on it.
Damn that sucks.

MOrca

Reaction score
Hope the repair works. Feel really bad that it happened.

NE Grady 208

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
went to check on boat today. Flushed with fresh water for 15 minutes then ran the engine at the dock for another 15 at idle and progressive rpms. No signs of water. Took cover off and inspected the repair. Looked solid with no leakage. Good start. still had exhaust coming out of top port. Some say this is normal. Going to take her out in the next few days and see how she does underway. Thanks again for the help and advice here.