Snap in Console cover for 208 Adventure

BDUB

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a new owner of a '97 208 Adventure. It's my first Grady and I am extremely excited about it. I want to get a sunbrella cover that snaps onto the windshield and covers the helm area.

Does anyone know the deminsions I would need to give the shop to get one sewn? I noticed that some of the members had these covers on their 208's. I know I could try to measure it myself, but was hoping one of you might already know. Thanks for any replies and and really enjoy the site. It has tons of useful information for new Grady owners such as myself!

seasick

Reaction score
Three options: Buy one from Grady if they have it (probably not but they may tell you who made it). Go to a canvas shop that already has a pattern.
Have a canvas shop come to your boat to measure, then make, and finally come back to fit. There is no way that measurements alone would suffice. The snaps will have to be installed with the cover on the boat.
The last option is the norm

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's really not a DIY job because th helm cover has cut outs with Velcro for a hardtop, if you have one. I would call a Grady dealer and see what they can do. I doubt if your 97 is any different than my 04. One thing, the snaps on the windshield frame are on little snap-in metal tabs so you can slide them around to fit the cover.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great Lakes Boat Tops does all of GW's canvas work. I'd reach out to them...they may be a little cheaper than your dealer.

Grady Again

Reaction score
Snap in console cover for 208

I HAVE A 97 208 ADVENTURE ALSO AND ORDERED A HELM COVER FROM

A&J CANVAS
2453 STREETS FERRY ROAD
VANCEBORO, NC 28586
252-244-1509

THEY HAD THE PATTERN AND THE ORIGINAL GRADY BLUE COLOR. THEY SENT THE SNAPS WITH IT AND I HAD TO PUT THEM ON AS SNAP LOCATIONS MAY VARY. WEST MARINE & OTHERS HAVE SNAP INSTALLING TOOLS VERY REASONABLE.

I THINK IT COST $150 PLUS $50 SHIPPING ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO.
I AM VERY PLEASED WITH IT. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IT AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN WHEN INSTALLING IT AS IT WILL STRETCH SLIGHTLY. 8)

SCAdventure

Reaction score
I tried Great Lakes for my 1995 208 and they didn't have it. Did not try later years. I too would like a pulpit cover. I will be getting a custom cover to attach from the back zipper of my bimini to boat hooks placed in the rear rod holders.

BDUB

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I live pretty close to Vanceboro. I will give them a shot.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Opening up an old thread. I would also like a helm cover for a 2006 Grady 208. I tried Great Lakes and A and J Canvas and neither had it. A local canvas shop wants $1,700 bucks to do it. This seems a bit high. Anybody got any other leads?

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a helm cover for my 208. Came with the boat so do not know the cost.. $1700 does seem on the high side, it must include installing all the snaps to keep it in place, I paid $100 just to have s zipper installed approx. 2/3 down the middle to access the helm without taking it right off every time.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Opening up an old thread. I would also like a helm cover for a 2006 Grady 208. I tried Great Lakes and A and J Canvas and neither had it. A local canvas shop wants $1,700 bucks to do it. This seems a bit high. Anybody got any other leads?
When I hear "helm" cover, I think of a small piece of canvas that covers the gauges - roughly a 4 sq/ft piece of canvas. Are you referring to a "cockpit" cover - a piece of canvas that covers the entire cockpit?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a navy blue sunbrella cover that snaps to windshield all around and down the back. I use it mostly for traveling but it a great thing to have. Some call it a tonneau cover. Made locally and came with the boat when I bought it. I do some canvas work and can tell you it’s not a difficult piece to build. Lots of reinforcing though (time).

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
When I hear "helm" cover, I think of a small piece of canvas that covers the gauges - roughly a 4 sq/ft piece of canvas. Are you referring to a "cockpit" cover - a piece of canvas that covers the entire cockpit?
Yes. Cockpit cover

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a navy blue sunbrella cover that snaps to windshield all around and down the back. I use it mostly for traveling but it a great thing to have. Some call it a tonneau cover. Made locally and came with the boat when I bought it. I do some canvas work and can tell you it’s not a difficult piece to build. Lots of reinforcing though (time).
I am thinking of making it. Cut canvas to fit, stitch the ends, and install snaps. I'm sure it will be some labor involved but the canvas and buttons cant be that expensive

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I am thinking of making it. Cut canvas to fit, stitch the ends, and install snaps. I'm sure it will be some labor involved but the canvas and buttons cant be that expensive
I’ve done a bunch of sunbrella projects for my sailboat. It’s not that hard once you get used to the sewing machine. Materials are pretty cheap. Just need a decent sewing machine and you want to get uv resistant thread. Check out the sailrite website and they will have a lot of information for DIY

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you try contacting GL and A&J directly, or just look on their website? If not, it might be worthwhile to give them a call.

Just know that even if you buy a pre-made one, you still need to install the snaps into the cover.

Yeah, $1,700 sounds high - I would expect closer to $1,000. But then, everything is higher in price right now. Check around with some other shops.

Mark DV

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Did you try contacting GL and A&J directly, or just look on their website? If not, it might be worthwhile to give them a call.

Just know that even if you buy a pre-made one, you still need to install the snaps into the cover.

Yeah, $1,700 sounds high - I would expect closer to $1,000. But then, everything is higher in price right now. Check around with some other shops.
Yes I called GL and A&J directly.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’m not familiar with your boat but it’s probably 6 yards x 60” @ $26/yard. All the canvas / snap edges must be doubled over to properly hold the snaps. Look at SailRite videos for guidance. I do it all the time. It’s all about your design and cutting material. Sewing is only a small detail part of the project. I’m really pickey so design takes a while. But when I commit it goes fast and looks great!

Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
I made a helm (cockpit cover) last year for MyOtherBoat) Materials were about $200 and add to that some decent snap tooling ( vice grip type, about 50 bucks or so.
I have an industrial sewing machine and that helps a lot. There is a good how to video on the Sailrite web site. The key to a good job is to use the patterning material and double sided tape recommended and make a well fitted pattern.
I used a less expensive material than Sunbrella since this was my first helm cover project. It is a fairly light material and you could probably sew it with a decent home machine. A lot depends on the thickness of the edge banding.
If you go this route take my advice to install and carefully remove your canvas enclosure so that all the movable snaps are in the correct position before marking and installing the snaps in the new cover. Don't ask me how I learned that:(

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This is what I think of as a helm cover, which is on my tournament 22, from the top of the windshield, to the back of the seats. I think of a cockpit cover as the same thing, extended to the transom, or from the hardtop to the transom.
There are no cut-outs around frame on this style, unless one if you have the tube from the lower helm to an electronics box above.
Perhaps that is where some of the price differentiation is coming from.
B6C0E222-74A4-478A-A877-E97C1EF81177.jpeg