So Here's a Funny One....

Dogwood

Reaction score
So I take delivery of my brand spankin' new Tourney 225 yesterday and everything goes smoothly and I love the boat yada yada. So then I take it out for a quick spin today and at like about 4800 rpm the "WATER IN FUEL" starts flashing and the boat won't top 38 mph (hit 47 easily yesterday). I start laughing at the irony of having sold my '86 228 Seafarer with its absolutely problem free Evinrude 225 Ficht and my first day with my new Yami F250 there's a problem already. Hysterical. How can a brand new boat already have water in the fuel? It's a good thing I have a good sense of humor, especially when I call the dealer on Monday.

GulfGrady

Reaction score
Dogwood said:
How can a brand new boat already have water in the fuel? It's a good thing I have a good sense of humor, especially when I call the dealer on Monday.
Because whoever filled it up the first time filled it with fuel with water in it. Or it sat out in the rain with the gas cap off.

SlimJim

Reaction score
Its you rgood old boat and engine, missing ya. Pay back is a bitch. :lol:

MRT

Reaction score
Did you check your filters? Was there any water in them? The newer f250s have had issues with fales readings. I had it happen on both my motors - the water in fuel alarm would go off, then clear up a few minutes later. The dealer said it is a common issue and should go away (which I don't quite get). I do know that I did not have any water in my fuel. Either way it is worth a call to the dealer, but you might want to check the filters first. If you don't have water, I would be curious to hear your dealers response.

Matt

Dogwood

Reaction score
Good questions, MRT...

and thanks for the reply. I did not check the filters as I want the dealer to check them first, and I suppose it could be a faulty sensor, etc. but coincidentally the rig could not surpass 39 mph at the time the warning was flashing whereby it did so easily upon delivery (1 hour engine time previously) to 48 mph (consistent with Grady specs). So, I think there is excessive water fuel contamination to an extent where it only affects the upper range, intuitively speaking. I'll let the dealer figure it out and oh by the way there's a 6" x 24" area of yellow gel coat stain noted near the live well, probably from some solvent spill, and oh by the way the live well circulates water passively when underway and is that normal? And oh by the way the water line is 2-3" above the bottom paint edge from the stern to about 6 ft forward.....reasonable demands on all counts or am I nitpicking?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
funny one

Dogwood,
Unfortunately, water in the gas of a new boat can happen. Is it from the factory or was it off the lot? Off of your dealers lot or did it come from another dealer? The more hands it goes through, the more "accidents" can happen. And the longer it sits, the more moisture condenses .
The passive water coming in the livewell as you drive is because your thru-hull seacock is open.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dogwood. do a Google search...I recall seeing something involving F250s and the "water in fuel" light coming on, except its a sensor problem and there isn't any water in the fuel.

When the light comes on, it automatically throttles everything back to prevent you from doing more damage.

As for the water in the livewell, it is necessary to close the seacock unless you are using the well. At planing speeds, water is being forced up through the pickup on the bottom of the hull. This is normal.

Dogwood

Reaction score
Plymouth Grady...

Where is the through hull seacock located and it should be closed???? Sounds pretty dangerous. The boat is from the factory direct. What do you think about the bottom paint and I thank you all for your input as I'm clearly no expert. Is the gel coat stain repairable and if so how? These are all warranty issues so I want to have my facts straight when I list my concerns and requests;

1) Water in fuel.

2) Gel coat stain: fix it.

3) Bottom paint: bring it up to the true water line.

4) Livewell water: close open seacock/ fix it as water should not passively circulate while underway.

All reasonable requests and would you handle it this way? Since this is my first new boat I'm open to any other suggestions and I thank you all again for your time and advice!!!

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
dogwood, had the same at 6 hours. Dealer says this is a known issue with the sensor. They are changing mine out as we speak at the 20 hour maintenance. It happened once for me at that was it.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
You just spent a load of money purchasing an "A" quality boat your have every right to expect it to be delivered without problems. If you wanted problems you could have purchased a lesser boat for a lot less money. So to your question you are not nitpicking, GW promotes themselves as number one in customer satisfaction????? Doesn't sound to satisfying to me!!!

As for the passive circulation in the live well, it is normal, at least it was on my Pursuit, I didn't order a live well on my 275 so I can't say for GW. That said it makes perfect sense to me that if the valve is open that water will flow while underway. When not in use it is always a good practice to close the valve, one less opportunity for water to enter the hull. As for the stain I would go absolutely ballistic on the dealer with a new boat, take photos and don't touch it, make the dealer and GW deal with it. Make them explain how they plan to address the issue before they do and then check out their solution to confirm you agree with the approach. If they can't fix it they owe you!!!! Water line, make the dealer come to the boat mark the water line with the boat in the water with full tanks of fuel and water and then they will have to take the boat out and repaint the water line. Engine issue, no clue but my blood pressure would be out of control if I was in your shoes. I guess that's why I have a heart condition.

gerrys

Reaction score
Having bought 4 new boats in 5 years, you're tale isn't new, even to Grady. I think a noticeable stain would pizz me off as much as anything. The free flow through the livewell is normal while running with the seacock open. Water sensor is likely a Yammi deal, easy to correct. Bottom paint line is normally a two step process, unless you take posession of the boat, fuel it, load it and take it back for marking. The first painting of my Marlin missed in the rear by 2". The second time is a charm.
Get by this stuff and look forward to a long and enjoyable life on the water.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Dogwood said:
So I take delivery of my brand spankin' new Tourney 225 yesterday and everything goes smoothly and I love the boat yada yada. So then I take it out for a quick spin today and at like about 4800 rpm the "WATER IN FUEL" starts flashing and the boat won't top 38 mph (hit 47 easily yesterday). I start laughing at the irony of having sold my '86 228 Seafarer with its absolutely problem free Evinrude 225 Ficht and my first day with my new Yami F250 there's a problem already. Hysterical. How can a brand new boat already have water in the fuel? It's a good thing I have a good sense of humor, especially when I call the dealer on Monday.
Dogwood,
You mention that this is only your second time out with the new boat. You mention 4800 RPM. How many hours do you have on the motor? The break in should only be 2000 RPM for the first hour and 3000 RPM for the second hour. Then I would take it easy for the next 8 hrs. To be @ 47 MPH you would probably have to be close to full throttle, 6000 RPM, according to the performance figures GW publishes.
I will be picking up a new 2008 Tournament 225 in a couple of weeks and have asked the dealer to check the sensor for me prior to delivery due to other posts like yours on this forum. Their response was that there is no known test to determine if the sensor is bad. I would just have to wait and see if it malfunctions. At current gas prices I doubt it will be delivered with a full tank so I will get the privilege of buying the first tank of fuel and will add Ring Free and stabilizer to it. I'll let you know how it goes.
As for the livewell issue my previous Boston Whaler would do the same thing if the seacock was open and I ran at speed. Keep it closed when your not using the live well. As for the stain and bottom paint you have every right to expect those things to be remedied. That's one of the reasons you bought new not used!
If you had no problems with your FICHT consider yourself to have already cheated the devil. You are among an elite group with that engine if you never had any trouble. It contributed mightily towards the bankruptcy of OMC.
Enjoy your new 225 and stay in touch so we can compare notes on our boats!

Dogwood

Reaction score
Ok, so...

1) The Yami water sensor is straightforward to deal with,

2) The livewell--seacock can be left open or could close it when not in use,

3) Bottom paint; full load and fuel, remark and paint. Should I have to pay extra above the original quote?

4) Gel coat stain--this one seems the most contentious as it probably difficult to remove and if not what am I entitled to $wise.

What do you think of the above? Thanks again!

Dogwood

Reaction score
Capt. Chris;

Upon delivery the dealer advised me to break in the engine over the first 20 hours by altering the rpms over the entire gammut and avoid sustained cruising at a set rpm, even to top end. Bad advice? And are gel coat stains repairable and if not how much to compensate ($)?

I thank you.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Dogwood said:
Capt. Chris;

Upon delivery the dealer advised me to break in the engine over the first 20 hours by altering the rpms over the entire gammut and avoid sustained cruising at a set rpm, even to top end. Bad advice? And are gel coat stains repairable and if not how much to compensate ($)?

I thank you.
Dogwood,
I was just reading from the on line owner's manual on the Yamaha website for that motor. I don't know who your dealer is and don't want to impune their integrity. I would and will go by what the owner's manual recommends and they say the first service comes after 10 hrs. To put your mind at ease I would call Yamaha in Kennesaw, GA @ 1-866-894-1626 and talk to the customer service folks. I have found them to be very helpful and very concerned about their owners. After all Yamaha is the one that covers any warranty issues and that motor is really expensive.
As for the gel coat stains, I'm sure they can be taken out. If the gel coat can be repaired after an accident or a deep gouge, it can surely be reworked to get the stain out. Just don't try or let anyone else try to use bleach on it. Have the dealer have it professionally done to your satisfaction.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
capt chris said:
Dogwood,
You mention that this is only your second time out with the new boat. You mention 4800 RPM. How many hours do you have on the motor? The break in should only be 2000 RPM for the first hour and 3000 RPM for the second hour. Then I would take it easy for the next 8 hrs. To be @ 47 MPH you would probably have to be close to full throttle, 6000 RPM, according to the performance figures GW publishes.

I had the same question. Would be curious about the response.

See a lot of complaints from folks about their Yamaha F's "making oil", but most likely didn't follow the specified break-in process.

We have 550 hours on our twins in 2.5 years and they were broken in correctly.

I guess the need to see how fast it will go can override the desire for a long service life... :?

And not to forget - best wishes with your new Grady!

Brian

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Dogwood said:
Upon delivery the dealer advised me to break in the engine over the first 20 hours by altering the rpms over the entire gammut ... even to top end.
Not very good advice, IMHO.

Dogwood said:
... and avoid sustained cruising at a set rpm
Correct..