So just how "unsinkable" are the Grady White boats

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I second Grog on not leaving the boat in this situation. If it happened to be anchored and capsized, then you’d get a beating in rough seas ---like what happened to the NFL guys in Florida early this year. (They tried to retrieve their stuck anchor by tying it off to a stern cleat, gunning the throttle, and up and over the Everglades went.) They got pounded trying to hang on in the 6 to 8 ft stuff that rolled in, and tragically as we know, 3 ended up swimming off forever....including the boat owner...

However, if it was floating on the surface and drifting with the waves and current - like a big door, or tree, - you’d think you’d have waves breaking on you & the upturned hull, but not too much jarring and jolting? You’d last a lot longer fatigue-wise too, rather than treading water or drifting alone in a life jacket. Being able to climb up on something to even partially dry-out if possible would make a huge difference… Plus, this is where the provisions are. If you did find the boat a physical threat at times, I guess you could use a life line a try to stand-off. But, if it’s a Grady White, she won’t “sink” to Davie Jones' Locker.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would stay with the boat if at all possible. Suggest you have a number of 50' lines with your pfds. A loop on one end and a brass snap on the other. Loop it thru the bow rail, stern eye or some other attach point and attach to or thru your pfd. This way you can seperate yourself from the boat to avoid pounding in rough seas or get as close as you can.

Personally if I don't survive, I want the body to be found for my family to bury and assist them get through it.
I lost a friend at sea, never found the body. The family was never the same after the ordeal and they are still messed up 30 years later.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Flotation

From Grady White Customer Service:

All of our boat models feature foam floatation in compliance to
standards set forth by the National Marine Manufacturers Association
(NMMA), American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Boats under 20 feet in length are required by the Coast Guard to feature
"level floatation". This feature allows a boat to remain upright and
level if swamped.

"Basic floatation" is optional for boats manufactured in the 20 to 25
foot range as it is not required by the Coast Guard. Boat manufacturers
who are members of the NMMA's floatation certification program must
conform to program guidelines. This foam feature will allow the boat to
float and remain at the surface if swamped. Because of the design
features of larger boats this cannot guarantee that the boat will remain
upright and level.

Vessels 26 feet and larger fall under guidelines of the ABYC which does
not require these vessels have foam floatation. However, we have
designed space in our boats to accommodate the amount of foam needed to meet basic floatation standards.

jfmagana

Reaction score
Very true. We've had two capsize here in Northern California in very ugly seas. In both cases, the boats floated very well (both boats were towed-in long after the respective tragedies). I hope to God I never have to prove this point in my 228, but it's comforting to know that it will stay afloat in the worst possible scenario.

wahoo33417 said:
Unfortunately there have been a few tragedies of late that became real-world tests. Boats flipped in high/breaking seas. The hulls did as advertised - they stayed afloat.

I have visited the factory a couple of times and saw that they do fill the below-decks with foam.

Not sure about the chainsaw. Guess it depends on where the cuts are made.

Rob

fishinmission

Reaction score
Do I need a life raft

The sad part about a Grady it can still burn and you need to get away from the boat. Also as you can see in this debate you should get a carry on life raft, so as its burning your not climbing up on the hard top trying to release the raft

townvet

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good portable life raft? Preferable for 4-6 people. Can they be easily mounted to the top f the hard top. ALSO suggested EPIRB models?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went all portable. I got a six man revere valise type, a plb fast find in the ditch bag and a FLOATING handheld VHF. As to how good is the life raft.................... i hope i don't have to speak from personal experience.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How much is your life worth? your wife, kids, friends, family?? Put a dollar amount on it...... How much?

I never understand some of the comments from posts like this one.

A good raft - Revere, Winslow, Zodiac - costs maybe 3-4K with supplies; an EPIRB is less than 1K; Type 1 PFD's, with whistles, strobes attached are nothing; register your VHF / DSC number to the boat; add a few 50' orange floating streamers and you are less than 5K for virtually a FULL basket of emergency gear that will potentially save multiple people in an emergency.

IMHO - don't mean to offend anyone, but really now - if you can spend 100K - 200K - 300K or more - for a Grady White, and you are going offshore, why would you not invest another 5K in the appropriate emergency gear, and then the 2-3 hours it takes to learn how to use it, train your crew to use it, regularly practice, etc in case you needed to?

This is not about GW folks, they build TOP quality products, its about common sense and the responsibility of the owner / captain of the boat.

I hope none of you ever have to experience abandoning ship, but in case you do, be a professional and survive, not someone we hear about on the 10 o'clock news....

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry to vent and not answer the question; anytime we are going outside the island, into the Gulf, we are prepared:

I have a Winslow 6 person offshore raft, ACR EPIRB (battery regulary tested and registered of course), all Furuno electronics, including VHF with DSC (all registered), 6 Type 1 PFDs with strobes, whistles, and reflective tape; usually wear Mustang inflatables while on the boat as well; 3 50' orange reflective floating streamers, extra ditch bag with floating VHF, waterproof flashlights, extra flares and always have a float plan and times set with friends that will be waiting for us to return.

I also take time to show everyone on board where things are, how to use the equipment, how to activate the DSC or EPIRB, etc, so nothing should be a surprise in the event something happens. I am usually OK if someone on board wants a beer or two, but I never have anything stronger than black coffee while we are away from the dock. Anyone acting like they want more than one or two will not return, or also will be forced to wear a regular PFD the rest of the trip.

Sounds extreme, but you know what, no accidents, no issues and everyone loves to go out on our GW I have had many many people comment on how safe they feel, how prepared we are and how they know if we get into bad weather, rough conditions, whatever, we will all get back home safely....

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with sel, and i have to add that, call me crazy if you want or whatever, but there is NO alchohol in my boats at ANY time, not even on the dock. I personally don't drink, i can't, so, who ever comes on my boat for a day or two knows that and if a newbe wants to come he gets informed ahead, so we don't have any misunderstandings on the boat.
As far as safety equipment, sel is again correct, you can't put a price on your or anybodys life, so, instead of spending 20K on gear spend half and the rest in safety equipment, i consider safety equipment as gear as well.
Don't forget bottle water in that ditch bag, a gallon or two should do it for 6 people for a few hours. The reason i went with the valise raft(portable) is that when i go with somebody elses boat and does not have a raft i will take my raft with me and the ditch bag ALL the time.(Now you can call me crazy :lol: )

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
amen

Nothing Else Matters has said it as well as it can be said, PLEASE consider what folks here have to say and take it to heart.

I have NEVER found anyone on this forum with ego or other issues, the bottom line is how can folks with lots of experience with GW's and weather and rough water situations help educate / inform others on what works, where to spend $$ / where not to, how to enjoy our GW's and do so safely and make sure everyone gets back on the dock at the end of the day with a smile on their face.

I know there there a lot of forums and threads out there, but folks like NEM tell it like it really is, what you need to know to be around 20-30 yrs from now reading this forum.

Just my .02 but hopefully some value in there somewhere....