Soggy cabin ... troubleshooting

1998GradyLady

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

OK, we suspect this is a leaky window issue but I just want to double check and confirm...maybe someone else has had the same issue?

We just purchased a 1998 Sailfish 272 and are trying to work out the kinks. After a series of heavy rains, we went into the cabin and noticed the cushions were damp. After investigating, we realized it was coming from the right side on the cabin (head side). The wall felt damp and the majority of the moisture was on the right side cushions and the "bumper" cushion that runs along side the hull. The left side is dry and not showing much signs of moisture.

At first we thought it was the anchor windlasses. This boat is larger than our previous boat and parks in a boat slip under a deck. The rain runoff was falling directly on that opening. After adding some materials to the deck to detour the water, we saw the cabin was STILL getting wet. Now we are wondering if it coming through the windows....

Any other ideas of areas to check so we can troubleshoot??

Thank you!!
- A soggy Grady Lady :(

Offshore24NJ

Reaction score
I have the same problem on the port side the cushions always seem to get wet when it rains

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a wet cabin in my new Gulfstream.
The way we found the source was to take a hose and soak the suspected area while one observer keeps watch inside the cabin...The trouble spot(s) will show up..

reelserious

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my 2000 272. There were leaks on both port and starboard sides originating from the forward facing windows. I siliconed under the black rubber along the sides and bottom of the glass as well as the outer edge where the aluminum meets the fiberlass along the sides and top of the window. That was two seasons ago. So far so good.

From what you describe the other possibility is at the deck joint under the rubrail. My boat leaked on the port side when it was delivered new. The dealer dropped the rubrail and resealed the joint and installed some of the screws that the factory left out. That problem never came back. Hopefully your problem is the window.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 252 and my 272. I found that the black rubber window seal/holder has shrunk which caused the corners to pull apart about 1/4". I put in some black silicone caulk in the corners. after it cured I made it look pretty with a single edge razor blade. My problem was solved

derx2

Reaction score
my boat was leaking where the forward railing bases meet the topside fiberglass. I think the sealant had dried up/ or cracked and was letting water into the cabin sides.

It was causing the carpet on the port side to get wet. I sealed up each round railing base + have not had any problems.