Sold my 232 what is the Marlin Clearance on Trailer

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sad to say after 26 years as the original owner of a 1990 232 Gulfstream we've parted ways. It sold in 24 hours for the $18.5K asking price with trailer on Craigs.

Have my eyes set on a used 30' Marlin 2004 or newer any idea on what the clearance is for this boat w radar on trailer?
Hoping it may fit under a lager vertical garage door shop.
Thanks

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just buy it and try it.... :D

(My buddy has one but it is in the water already.)

You could get a ballpark estimate by using the bridge clearance spec (9.75 feet for current model) along with a good photograph of one sitting on a trailer like the one below and do a proportional calculation. Print out the photo of your model year boat and measure from the ground to the waterline and call that dimension A, and measure from the waterline to the highest point of the roof and call that dimension B. Then note that A/B = C/9.75 feet where C is the true dimension from the waterline to the ground. The total height estimate is then C+9.75 feet. Either that or perhaps someone think I am full of crap and go measure their Marlin for you before they launch... :?

I searched this site from Google using the following search command:

Marlin "height on trailer" site:greatgrady.com

And got only one thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9124

The last post addresses a Marlin 28: 13.5'

Good luck...

Attachments

• Marlin on Trailer.jpg
    Marlin on Trailer.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 946

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm not sure either, but I'm pretty sure that the max legal towing height w/out special permits is 13' 6"

If your garage door is 14' it should fit. If not, you've got to get permits and travel specific routes that do not have low bridges, plus being aware of low tree branches, roofs above fuel islands, low power lines, etc. (I got in the habit of developing that sense of awareness with my 232.)

Speaking of my 232, it's 12' 9' with my GPS antenna. I'll bet the Marlin's 13-something,although it'll vary with the type of radar, how low the hull is bunked on the trailer and the height of the ball hitch off the ground.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One more thing;

If your garage door is a tad too low, you can either buy or custom-make a close-to-the-ground lower drawbar for your hitch ball. Change to it from your normal hitch bar just before you back in.
Dropping the nose close to the ground while backing the last few feet into your garage will give you a few more inches clearance at the top.
Depending on how close to getting in you are, it may be just enough.