Solid Ice in the Bilge

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Seeking thoughts on what damage may have occurred due to a delay in winterization.

My boat was pulled a month ago, but the guy I have servicing it apparently hasn't winterized it yet. We've had several days of temps in the 20s... Went to take a look today and found a couple of inches of ice in the bilge (near the stern).

The bilge pump and float switch have ice over 25% of them, ice is coming out the garboard hole (plug removed (probably after a freeze). The raw water and livewell through-hulls are well covered with ice. I don't think the raw water wash-down system was winterized. Water tank was empty, but not sure if winterized - no evidence of the red stuff in the sink.

On a positive note, it appears that they may have run some anti-freeze through the engine...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd show him the ice in the bottom and have him replace the pump and switch and let him know if the raw water or freash water have any problems, HE will pay to fix it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Motor doesn't need antifreeze.

FW pump, SW pump, Bilge bumps, & macerators, may be effected as well as any sink faucets.