Some 265 Express upgrades for 2010 and offshore gear

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
This was a light year for me as far as upgrades go compared to other years.

I installed new shurflo SW washdown pumps and livewell pumps, but did not get pictures of the job, it was too hot out and dark to get pictures.

A new ACR Globalfix Pro EPIRB this year, it was time to upgrade to an EPIRB with GPS built in.
epirb.jpg

I added 2 lee rod holders in the transom. Not sure how we functioned without them.
rodholders1.jpg

The boat needed a new stereo system...the old one was outdated and well..nothing worked!!

New Alpine head unit and Ipod interface: (Also have a wireless digital Alpine control at the helm but I do not have any pictures of it at the moment)
Stereo.jpg

I figured we would go all out, so I added a JL Audio M2250 Amp in the Cabin to push the cockpit speakers. Amp is connected to the head unit using Monster Cable Audio Wires:
Amp.jpg

JL Audio M650 speakers in the cockpit:
JLspeakers.jpg

The new sound system is light years above our stock Kenwood and sound quality on the JL speakers blows out the upgraded infinity speakers that were previously installed. If you want good sound quality, go with JL Audio!! The bass from these speakers is amazing and this amp pushes these speakers perfectly. The Alpine head unit has a lot more control over the sound and is a lot more crisp and clear the our stock Kenwood.

The old windlass went, so we replaced it with a Lewmar Pro Sport 550:
Windlass1.jpg

The offshore setup...
It's taken me 2.5 years to piece together, but its finally complete...well..for now!!!

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

2 - Avet 50W's reels on Kevin Bogan WOXXH 50-120 Calstar blanks with Aftco Wind-On Guides and Aftco Storabutts with both straight and short bent butts. There is 950yrds of Jerry Brown 100lb hollowcore backing and a 100yd topshot of Momoi Hi Catch 100lb mono.

2 - Avet 50 SDS reels on Kevin Bogan SUR50 50-100 blanks with Aftco full rollers and Aftco Uni Butts. There is 600yds of Jerry Brown 100lb Hollowcore backing with 100yds of Momoi Hi Catch 100ln mono topshots.

4 - Avet 30W reels on Kevin Bogan SU50 rods 50-100 blanks with Aftco roller tips and Aftco uni butts. There is 450yds of Jerry Brown 80lb Hollowcore backing with a 100yd topshot of Momoi Hi Catch 80lb Mono.

2 - Avet HX Raptor reels on Kevin Bogan GF700XH Calstar 40-100 7' blanks. There is 425yds of Jerry Brown Hollowcore with loop ends for connection topshots of choice.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like you are ready for this years YFT run. Nice job on the new sound system, when my fails I will also upgrade to something similar. Hope to see you on th fishing grounds soon.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Already got one trip in on a buddies boat early in the month and did decent, was hoping to run this weekend but doesn't look promising. If we get a small window Fri we might run out at sunrise and head for the canyon, and if not pull back a little short and hopefully find those giant bluefins that are swimming our area!! Keeping the fingers crossed that the weather cooperates for us.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just a reminder the trophy BFT catagory was closed on the 18th. Only allowed to keep one per boat between 27-59 now.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Transom rod holders are 0 degree, its all that the well will fit but they are still well worth it. We use them on the drift a lot inshore and chunking offshore. I do not use them for trolling at the canyons, I avoid any rods across the transom, just more to go wrong when multiple rods go off....

Yup, I'm aware of the Giant category just being closed. I have some buddies I fish with that have a commercial license's though so it is still open to them.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is the boat rigged out with the trolling spread before running to the Hudson Canyon for tuna. Our 8 rod trolling spread.

IMG_0601.jpg

Here is the full 10 rod spread, 50W's switched to bent butts for targeting larger bluefin or for targeting marlin at the canyons, and the HX raptors for jigging/tilefishing/white marlin

IMG_0592.jpg

Lucky13

Reaction score
gradyfiss22 where did you get your hull done it looks amazing. i am considering a 265 now with 225 4s' repowered in 06 with 500 hrs. i have never been on a 265 but have had my eye on them for yrs. is there anything to be concerned about or information you could share?