some cracks in hull

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
in these off months waiting for it to get warmer so I can get started on the transom, I have been scraping the bottom paint off a few feet at a time. Was never done correctly by prev owners. Paint keeps flaking off when running around. So rather than repaint over the scabs. I am gonna do it right. Scrapes right off pretty easy with a stiff scraper and the gelcoat was never even touched with a sander, still shiney. Ran into a small area on the port side hull right after the second strake that has some spider cracking in the gelcoat about 2-3ft long about 1/4-1/2 apart about 6-7 cracks. There not deep, very thin thinkness of a hair can barley feel em with my fingernail. Just wondering do you think this is something normal wear and tear related or do I have a serious structure problem developing. The area alligns with the aft, port side of the fuel tank compartment. Will inspect it but, Just thinnking to sand down the area and fill with high build primer before applying my barrier coat.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Paul,

It sounds like you are talking about gelcoat cracks.....does not sound like anything major....if you cleaned off the paint from most 25 year old boats, you would probably see worse...is it blocked or trailered? Could have been from sitting in one spot for the winter.....clean up the area, sand it down and coat it with epoxy and then barrier coat the hull like you plan.....something to take a look at every few seasons..if you look on the inside of the hull and see something similar, I would be worried, but I doubt that you will.....