Soundproofing the outboard

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Anyone ever give any thought to using soundproofing materials inside the outboard cowl to reduce the noise. Did it once on a Searay 23 midcabin with a I/O and it was very nice. Never did an outboard - any thoughts.
I have a 95 226 seafarer with a 200 Yammie.
Thanks

Barlow46

Reaction score
Get some ear plugs but don't try to put anything under that cowl. The Yamaha guys have already tried to reduce the sound as much as possible without interfering with the air flow into the engine compartment. Other option is to spring for an F series engine but I personally still like the 2 strokes. Good luck.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
SOUNDPROOFING

Isn't that some type of oxymoron? Soundproof, outboard?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
SOUNDPROOFING

I enjoy the weedwacker sound almost as much as the distinctive 2 stroke aroma! Love it!

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
All right, Guys, you got me. I wanted to quiet down my engine so I can jack up my stereo.

scottg

Reaction score
Jerseyboy1946 said:
All right, Guys, you got me. I wanted to quiet down my engine so I can jack up my stereo.

Get a louder stereo :)

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There's not much room for insulation any more. My old Johnnies had combo rubber / foam pads glued to the inside of the cowl, that kept peeling off even after re-gluing them, probably due to oil contamination.
The short intake runners have to be open so irrespective of the remainder of the cowl, not much different than sitting under the hood of your car with no air filter nor air filter housing in place.

At idle rpms incl. trolling, the 4 stroke is as quiet as a car engine, at speed just as loud as anything else, after all they have a valve train and run higher RPMS, how can they be quieter vs. any 2 stroke? A different tone perhaps, but just as loud. Loud is loud. My Parker F225 buddy ran up his engine one day at the marina he never did before, whoa it was loud. Hard to tell on the water unless both boats are identical model.

At speed, the 2 strokes do fire all cylinders every rotation vs. every other rotation for the 4 strokers.

You can try throw away ear plugs like construction people use, the cheap foam ones they sell at the depot.

When my twin HPDIs idle at the marina, they are not intrusive at all, can carry on a normal tone conversation sitting right next to them, many do comment (the 4 stroke guys seem surprised, I wonder why?) as they are quiet, and considering there are two of them running not just one.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
insulating

OK, we had our fun...but in all seriousness, I have a 228 w/ 250 Yami SWS II and, yeah, it's a little loud. I just did my stereo over and can easily hear it while underway. 2 3" mini-box speakers on the dash tucked back by the windshield and 2 6.5" JBL flushmounts. Looks/sounds great.

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Ok, we will be serious now. I am an Engineer by trade and education, for better or worse can never leave anything alone - always try to improve or refine. There is a product called Damplifer-Pro that is only .075 " thick (2.0 mm), is mylar foil faced, is good to 500 degrees F and is self adhesive. It is used as soundproofing the engine compartment of cars and is used on the cars firewall. I spoke to my 5 star Yamie dealer and he seemed to think it might do the trick. I think I may just give it a try.
Just have to make sure that the product does not impede the air flow to the engine

Lets face it, at idle my 200hp 2 stroke is nicely quiet but at cruising speed, it is loud.
Get ready for howls, I have been on many 4 stroke boats and at cruise speed there is not a lot of DB difference(if any) between the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke just a lot heavier and you have to change the oil. I will take my 2 stroke - besides I just love the 2 stroke smell (LOL). I will post how it works out.

jehines3

Reaction score
Jerseyboy1946 said:
I will take my 2 stroke - besides I just love the 2 stroke smell (LOL). I will post how it works out.

I was told that is what burning $20 bills smells like. jh

Jerseyboy1946

Reaction score
Nah, the smell of $20 bills burning is the 4 stroke smell from the extra money they paid for that type of engine. :lol:

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On my 92 200 Yamahas I used a foil lined bubble wrap 4 years ago, held in with contact cement. The original insulation was falling off so I tried this. It helped but really didnt quiet it as much as I wanted. Defender Industries sells an outboard insulation kit and at some point I will try that.
I have had no problem with the material I installed and it has not melted nor loosened up.

Good Luck

leek

Reaction score
Bills burning

After 40+ years of two strokes (starting with Dad's 35 'rude on a 17'wooden Starlet (local Wa. boat) to latest 200 hp carbed merc (just gave it up in the last two months) I have admired the general dependability and respected the power developed by the two stroke. Downsides were starting (especially if not experienced), initial smoke, oil consumption, and noise. Had a lot of fun with those engines...
For the last month I have been breaking in an F250 four stroke; it is pretty cool to jump in the boat and turn the key and the engine is running, also up to 7 knots very quiet. At cruise seems to be very economical. For right now I am happy that I spent a little more to get the four stroke but if two stroke technology continues to progress when this motor needs replacement I would not hesitate to take advantage of the weight savings and power to weight ratio if starting, noise and economy was better.
The thing that convinced me to go with the Grady was the layout the quality and the local dealer not the engine. I looked hard at the dual consoles that could be rigged with E Tec or Optimax. On the other hand the tried and true Yami was not a disqualifier.
The Yami F250 and the 225 t are a very good combination, a nice riding all around boat.